Insane Catamaran

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Aug 20, 2010.

1. bearflag

bearflag Inventor/Fabricator

I guess that is my point.

I am by no means the expert sailor that many on their board likely are. But to me it just doesn't look like it is that much more dramatic than much of the poor weather ocean activity that is to be expected and handled by the modern sailing yacht on a fairly regular basis.

Would I do it...??? Probably not. Maybe give me a few years...

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=================
    Fanie, I just watched the whole video again. The guy said it was worth the risk because of the time to sail to Brisbane and back up.
    No storm chasing him, no sick crew but it was worth the risk to him. I wonder exactly what he assesed the risk to be?
    What do you think?

3. bearflag

It's hard to say, he probably didn't think a capsize was likely. Most likely he probably expected to be bashed around the cabin. Maybe damage his rudders, or something along that line.

And even if the "risk" was capsizing, lets just write that up as about the same level of terribleness of getting in a car accident. But we still drive to work every day. Maybe he figured into the risk, that the odds were low of a catastrophic result.

If you are working at NASA than 1/1000 is way to high. But I know a hundred other people in my immediate circle that do much more dangerous things on dirtbikes, snowboards, and mountain bikes every weekend for nothing more than for the thrill of it.

To each his own.

4. bearflag

Hell, who knows, maybe he thought of the wave not as much of a risk but more of an opportunity.
    people travel all over the world to surf rivers, snowboard on avalanches etc.

Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I just don't think that because you want to do something that it's always ok or wise or representative of good seamanship. There are at least a few instances that I've been able to think of that it would have been ok for the guy to take the risk: a sick crew or an imminent storm, damage to the boat that was getting progressively worse, a psycho crew that had to be ditched fast and there are others I'm sure.
    But just because he didn't want to sail any further does not strike me as one of those.
    I don't think the guy should be punished but I think the discussion of what and why is important....

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Yes, I can't surfboard sh2t, so lets ban them all together, oh and how about the nut cases jumping out of planes with parashutes. Come to think about it, isn't flying a lot more dangerous than sailing ? Lets grount them planes too :rolleyes:

Dough, I can't tell you what his thoughts were, but if I have to make a wild thumb suck, I'd say the worst case probably a broached cat - and a sore ego.

Way I see it, he was flat out with his small inboards making up speed to get through.

In his case it seem like the timing was perfect, but lets say his timing was not so good that he didn't ride the wave the way he did.

If the wave broke behind the cat, it may have swamped the stern and gave the cat a good hump foreward. If it broached then, they would be past the worst which is where the waves break. They also would be carried a few seconds further towards safer water before the next broken (by now) wave hits, hence less risk.

If the wave broke ahead of them, they would simply just follow the wave out, and would probably be ok by the time the next wave catches up.

If the wave broke while in midship, well same thing. The wave would probably just outrun them and they would follow.

I'd say he was just lucky to catch that wave just right, and since the boat accellerated quite a bit, I think this had also the biggest risk of broaching there.

What would happen if the cat broached and gets hit by a wave full on - Well, I've never seen that but lets see. High wall of water on the near hull, low water on the far hull, big hand pushing the cat sideways. Near hull wants to float up while other hull gets pushed sideways.

Now if you look at how a skiboat goes over a very high wave, there is a chance the same thing may happen here. While the near hull is still traveling upward into the air the wave will pass under the near hull and then begin to pull on the far hull before they go over - and that should drop the near hull. They may have to swap back to their seats :D but that would be the worst I think.

The point to me is, you cannot qualify a person, then doubt his judgement in what he does. I can think of loooots more risky things people do on a daily basis. Just think about all those wiemen driving... :D

Ok where's the surf sailing hobie cat guys now??? Sure it happens to them all the time.

Also - Disclaimer - I'm not encouraging any one with a cat to do this. You should know your boat and it's limits and your own before you attempt the high wire.

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Ah yes, I also wonder if he turned the boat 180deg and reversed in. Well, he's got displacement hulls, the water should just pass by as long as he keeps at right angle with the waves.

Each wave will work him back some.

If he catches a wave just right like he did, I doubt he will surf backwards if the motors push into that wave, he'll just go over it, or rather the wave will pass under him - or should.

What do you guys think.

Could be a nice thing to go play in the waves and find out how cats will really behave in there.

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Ok, last point to ponder :D

If he came in under full main sail and at speed, why not. He'd probably have the most control then.

What will happen if his speed is the same as the wave's speed, they'd be moving but standing still in the water. Mmmm no control, maybe keep the inboards running flat out to to keep a bit of rudder there.

If the waves pass under you faster than you travel, cut motors and do reverse steering and or reverse motors.

Where's Tom Speer when you need him :D

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

No arguments ???

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

----------
    Thinking.(which is bound to get me in trouble)

11. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

Gents, I think that both sides have it partially right.
    The waves were 5 metres high, the boat is 12 metres long, so it had enough buoyancy to deal with the waves.

Second, he was really just standing there looking for a chance to maybe get the boat through. Skiper himself said that he had no idea what happened thre as he was really just sitting there.

And what happened was a lot of sheer luck to be pushed forward by the right wave for a surf that was not intended (the surf).

A different wave, one breaking just above the stern, would have the story end somewhat different, and not as cheerfull as it did end on this occasion.

This catamaran is no less dangerous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzGCYaJbf0A&NR=1

12. bearflag

Sounds plausible.

Also...
    I never understood why someone would use a horizontal axis wind turbine instead of a VAWT for a sailboat driven by propeller. Ohh well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.