Inflated Wing Sails

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Aug 23, 2017.

1. misanthropicexplore

misanthropicexplore Junior Member

I'm just an armchair theorist, but wingsail theory is a hobby of mine. I suspect part of the problem is that the the entire boat is a system. The sail/mast/ballast/keel/sectional and longitudinal form all work together to do a lot of different jobs. A sail works totally different downwind in light winds (drag formation) than it does beam reach in high wind (lift formation), and the mass aloft has the job of dappening roll and pitch movements. That alone is 4 different jobs: drag, lift, roll dampening, pitch dampening, and you might throw in others. For a wingsail to be all around better, It's not enough for a wing sail to provide ridiculous speed per lb at beam reach, it would have to provide better drag per lb, better dampening per lb, etc. Generally they don't, so they (usually) they aren't a generally better option.

2. Konstanty

Konstanty Junior Member

Here are any changes. I do not know how to get a turn on the third mast ? AC36 section by main sail.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.