1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

In desperate need of roves for clinker-building!

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Michael N, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Michael N

Michael N New Member

Hello there,

I'm a member of a danish viking ship guild currently in the process of building a 70.5 foot (21.5 meters) repllica of the Ladby ship. I'm asking for your help because we've run out of the little metal discs - I believe they're called roves? - which is used with iron nails to hold the planks together when using the clinker-building technique of the old norsemen. We've contacted a number of different maritime supply compagnies in our search without much luck. The roves we've been using so far are about 0.8" (2 centimeters) wide and (0.08)" (2 millimeters) thick. They're made of galvanized iron and has a little square hole in the center. If you know someone who has these on stock, please contact me!

Cheers,
    Michael Nissen
    http://tonderskibslag.dk

2. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Didn't the original builders make their roves with a strip of iron, a punch, and a cold chisel? They were sort of diamond shaped weren't they? Where did you find the roves you have been using? Not many manufacturers making steel roves today but the North West Maritime Center in Port Townsend WA sells copper roves of many sizes.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Like suggested use a hand punch and make them of copper !!!
    Go find a tool maker and show him what you want and get a hand punch made for yourself . outside shape with a square hole !! Could get all safisticated and make a small hand lever press to do the same thing !! :idea:

4. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Originals were punched in a strip, then cut with cold chisel to score deeply, then broken off as needed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.