IMP Boats Information

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by JKE, Jan 17, 2005.

1. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

Here you go double-b. Find your model number (on the engine/outdrive) and you can get your HP. As for swapping for the Mercruiser, with enough money and time, anything can be done, but realistically, with that big hole in the transom, it would take a lot of work to rebuild the transom. There are those out there who have done it though.

2. marybethh

marybethh New Member

1968 IMP hardtop Oceanic deep V needs a new home!

Has original upholstery in pretty good condition. It has one stripped screw on the distributor cap - but otherwise will run.

185 HP 283 Chevy v8 engine. FM marine radio, Bennett trim tabs, Eagle fish locator and tandem axel trailer with spare included. I also have the original service manual and owners manual to include.

It's located in northern Illinois - in the Chain of Lakes area. I haven't fished with it in quite a while, and it needs some TLC.

Best offer - call if you have questions. 224-805-9089.

Attached Files:

• IMP.jpg
      IMP.jpg
      File size:
      225.6 KB
      Views:
  3. double-b

double-b Junior Member

is the 225 oldsmobile label on the valve cover the horsepower. because nobody has ever heard of a 225 olds v8 engine they are telling me it is probably a 350 rocket. I dont have a clue

4. stylin_k

stylin_k New Member

IMP answers aplenty!

I have seen alot of mis information given on this forum. I have owned a 1975 IMP Aztec and the Iola Manufactured Plastics company of Iola Kansas has gone through various stages as a company and is now defunct and out of business since it's last production of the 2004 model year even thought they were built in 2003! There is a marina in LOTO that bought most of the POS parts and was their main dealership in sales. Most all engine and drive documentation is free on the web via BRP. The 225hp is a GM 307 and mostly chevy and olds gendered. The GM block has almost 50 more hp and is completely inter changable with 305 and 350 parts. I just repowered my 221 hour 307 with a new long block 350/290 HP and does it fly! Let me know any questions offline and would happy to help!

Attached Files:

5. double-b

double-b Junior Member

thank you for all the info

6. 25thmustang

25thmustang Junior Member

I just started tearing into mine, trying to get it ready before the end of the boating season. It isn't a "classic" IMP like the majority, but it is exactly what I wanted in a boat.

Just wish it didn't have twin 3.7 Mercruisers... Yikes.

7. wd0331

wd0331 Junior Member

Hello, I recently purchased a 1976 IMP Inca in need of major TLC. I ran across this site, so I thought I would join. I would be very interested in an IMP only Forum, as I cannot find any info on this boat. I plan on performing a complete rebuild of this ol' gal, while documenting the entire process so others can learn from my mistakes! An IMP forum would be a good place to do this.

8. double-b

double-b Junior Member

I just changed the transom seal on my 1973 aztec. I want to change the impeller in the lower unit for the lower water pump. does anyone know if this comes in a kit with all the seals to do this or any part numbers. I need it fairly quickly I am going to the lake in two weeks. thank you. it is a 225 omc

9. wd0331

wd0331 Junior Member

Ebay has some kits. There is another site called iboats that has the kits also.

10. double-b

double-b Junior Member

it is a 1973 aztec with a 225 omc it has two wires going into the lower unit. would that be what they call electric shift unit or is there another model number

11. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

double-b..you may also want to post your question over on this board:
    http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12488/12488.shtml

These guys are pretty knowlegeable about sterndrives in general, and there are a couple of OMC guru's there.

Javajesus..I think we can leave the discussion here for now. This thread is about IMP's, and everyone knows where it is (subscribed). Not sure what's up with Dave. I know he's had some medical problems off and on, maybe they're back on. Anyway, not sure there are any IMP "wiz kids", just those that have stumbled on these fine boats and are out trying to find info. I know Dave has lots of older brochures on them, but again, can't seem to keep going long enough to do anything with them (post them). I'm sure he'll be up on the board here and pipe in at some point when whatever has him down right now is cleared up. It would be great to get those brochures at the very least.

12. Tommy1995

Tommy1995 Junior Member

Just a quick question, and sorry but I'm a noob. I put my IMP at a marina today because I got really tired of having to launch it on the ramp everytime I want to go out on the water. While at the dock the motor kept lifting up and you could hear some kind of short that was causing it to go up as soon as I would put it down. I think it is a bad switch but my question is if I have the motor trimmed all the way down and don't plan on going anywhere shallow or trying to take it out of the water is there any reason why I couldn't put the motor all the way down and then disconnect the hydraulic system power while its down so that it would not have the power to come back up. I just need a temporary fix while it go out over the weekend. so guess what Im asking is there is no reason why I couldn't put the trim all the way down and just go out on the lake is there ?

13. series60

series60 Junior Member

1984 IMP X 215 SC 305cu/Alpha 1

I have been working for 2 weeks now tearing everything out of this IMP cuddy. The hull looks to be in good shape but the sole and the waferweld material the manufacture used to reinforce/soundproof the inside of the hull was completely saturated with water and some type of chemical that gave off a very distinctive odor. Most of the waferweld has now been removed which is a very big job. Lots of crowbars and grinders required for this. I will be relocating the fuel tank forward 6" and adding 4 stringers. Before the cuddy sole goes on I will be adding an anchor locker high in the bow for rope storage which there is none. Water tight storage under the bed bunks for ice and food and a few small dry storage areas will be incorporated. Aft I will add two large fish holds with hatch access. I have refreshed all the wire connections including all the grounds at the engine. Replaced thermostat, rebuilt starter and solenoid, replaced both burnt exhaust manifold gaskets. New impeller for the Alpha 1 is on it's way. This boat was stored in saltwater for several years so there is lots of little things to fix but most can be done without major expense.

There is very little published about the boat or it's manufacture. Some history about Iola Molded Plastics (IMP), the manufacture, can be found on the net but very few picture of this boat.

I am going to try my hand a building a 'foam under glass' engine cover when the time comes. Some re-engineering will be required here but that is why I decided on this project in the first place.

I have been using Boat Builder Central - Howtos for my rebuild support. There is a lot of great info on their site for all kinds of boat builds (kits) and rebuilds.

Here are a few pictures of this project.

The boat:
    [​IMG]

Out with the old:
    [​IMG]

This is the waferweld material I am removing:
    [​IMG]

Once all the waferweld is removed I will be going in with two layers of Biaxial Glass Fabric (45/45), 12oz., 50 in. wide applied with no blush/std cure epoxy for added strength to hull before stringers and storage go in.

This what waferweld looks like when it comes apart:
    [​IMG]

I would like to correspond with anyone about this rebuild project. Additionally if there are any folks out there that might know where to get a copy of a sales brochure for this vintage of boat I would really like to hear from you. Please email me directly at: series60@verizon.net

14. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

Wow...that is the definition of a project, no doubt about it. I have a 1984 X 190 SC...the 19 foot version of that same boat. But mine has the OMC 5.0L and stringer outdrive. It has the same graphic design scheme for the sides as well, and I wonder what color yours was before all the sanding that looks like was done at the rear. Mine is maroon on the bottom (under your anti-fouling paint) and at the rear and along the top side accent. I would love to get those graphic accents fixed, just to make it look a little better.

You can see some pics of my boat back on page 26, 30, and 34.

I sure would be interested in seeing the progress you make with your boat. Sounds like way more work than I will ever be capable of, but you should have a great boat when you're done.

15. series60

series60 Junior Member

Great looking interior

edjunior: I love the colors of your interior. Still undecided about my colors but I kept a copy of yours. Mine is the grey - gold - merlot color with grey on the bottom and stern, two stripes about 1" wide 2" apart just above where the bottom grey stops and then 3 wide grey & gold & merlot stripes along the port and starboard quarters. The anti-fouling paint on the botton covers most of the hull. I haven't done any sanding on the colors, they are just in very bad shape. I will probably keep the same design but I'm going for a little more flash with the colors.

[​IMG]

Spent 2 hours today chipping the old poly off the inside. This boat has had a long history of improper sole repairs. There is a lot of excessive use of cloth and resin without much attention to proper technique and spillage. This war story could go on a bit more but no need - this will be made right!

Here is a link to more pictures and info on the tear down. I incorrectly typed in the wrong model number (Y) instead of X215SC on that initial listing at forums.bateau2.com. That site is another great resource on rebuilds.
    http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19955

PS: what part of Texas and have you ever fished strippers at Whitney?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.