IMP Boats Information

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by JKE, Jan 17, 2005.

1. 7277IMPAZTEC

7277IMPAZTEC New Member

Cyprus106, if you need some info from a manual I can also copy a few pages for you from my manuals. I have mercruiser manual for the MR and merc 1 model, also the OMC, stringer E model that covers 120 hp thru 235 hp also have the parts list for the same OMC models. The OMC manual is a 1977 vertion but OMC sold the same drives I think all the way up to ether 86 or 96. Glade to hear your getting the boat back together, look forward to seeing pics

2. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

Hey Cyprus, I almost forgot about this. Here's a link to free manuals. Not the best as far as quality goes (the pictures and such), but it's there anyway. If there's something missing in one, let me know and I can try and fix you up. Meanwhile, this should get you started. Oh...these are pretty big files, so be patient.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309093

3. rs2k

rs2k Junior Member

I just picked up my second IMP boat. I have owned an 18' IMP Pawnee for some time now, and now I own a 28' IMP Kansa with twin 260HP OMC Chevy 350s. The quality is evident in both boats. It needs some work, but I really look forward to getting my newest addition on the water. I look forward to seeing what 520 horses can do to a 6000 lbs boat.

4. roo1113

roo1113 New Member

i just got this imp boat from my grandpa that died i few months ago... well i know nothing about these boats... i dont even know what kind of boat this is besides an imp... so can anyone tell me what type of model this is....

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  5. roo1113

roo1113 New Member

ok here are the pictures sorry...

Attached Files:

6. rauchcory

rauchcory Junior Member

I just got a free imp today.

here is the information I have
    '23
    the engine is stamped omc 225
    small cuddy cabin

The engine is shot so my biggest question is can I drop a SBC or SBF in place without changing the outdrive

Thanks a lot for your help

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Why not drop in a marine rebuilt 225? Then you can use all your manifolds, started, alternator etc.. Be much cheaper and easier as all will bolt back up.
    That is a ford engine I believe. Plenty of rebuild shops on line or you can have your block re-done.

8. rauchcory

rauchcory Junior Member

Simply because SBC can be had dirt cheap and I know the engine well, that and the aftermarket support for SBC

the 225 is a ford motor? Would a 5.0 bolt in place? The same things I mentioned regarding the SBC would apply to the 5.0 as well

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Is the 225 a V6 or V8? If it is a V6 then it is a GM block. answer this and I'll send you some links. You will have about $6,000 in a new chevy with all the equipment. A rebuild with X-tra HP under $3,000

10. rauchcory

rauchcory Junior Member

it is a v8

11. rauchcory

rauchcory Junior Member

Oh im not looking to spend that kind of money by any means, I'll pull a used engine for a couple hundred, just have to know what I need. This is just going to be a river rat

12. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Here is a link for rebuilt marine engines. They offer GM (chevy) Chrysler and Ford--many with X-tra HP to give you a handle on prices. While they are on the west coast there are dozens of shops on the east coast offering much the same. Please do not put an auto engine in your boat.http://www.usengine.us/marine.html

13. rauchcory

rauchcory Junior Member

I see no link. What C.I. is the omc 225 v8? and is the block gm or ford.

Why not put an auto engine in? The boat is not going to be nice ever, that's not why I'm getting it. I simply need it to be together and on the water for as cheap as possible.

14. rs2k

rs2k Junior Member

There are many difference between the auto and marine engines that you may not be aware about. Some of the differences can be very important.

You must use:
    Marine carburetor.
    (Failure to do so may result in an explosion or fire.)
    Marine starter.
    Marine alternator.
    Marine Camshaft.
    (Failure to do so may result in VERY poor performance and/or engine destruction through water ingestion.)
    Marine distributor.
    (Failure to do so may result in an explosion or fire and/or poor performance and engine destruction.)
    Marine exhaust manifolds.

Unless I'm forgetting something, most of the other small block engine parts are the same or very similar.... A truck or RV camshaft is also very similar to a marine camshaft, but a car camshaft WILL NOT WORK and will probably damage the engine by sucking up water through the exhaust while decelerating.

15. rs2k

rs2k Junior Member

If you want to go dirt cheap you can get away by putting in a truck engine, but YOU MUST use the marine accessories I listed in my last post. Oh, don't use an intake manifold that has an EGR valve. You don't want CO leaking into your lungs.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.