IMP Boats Information

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by JKE, Jan 17, 2005.

1. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

I went by the boat today and there was not a number stamped into the rear or the transom.
    Any further advice?

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Then it was built before 1972. 1972 and after builders were required to put the HIN on the transom. Of course it could be 72, some builders took their time getting in compliance. From the number you gave I suspect it is a 64. But before 72 everybody had a different format for serial numbers.

I Take no documents such as state registrations came with the boat?

3. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

There were not any numbers on the transom- pre '71 i guess!

4. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

Ike,
    I have not bought it yet.
    I am excited about the condition of the boat, but I am waiting for a super mechanic to check it out for me. I hope he makes it there Saturday, he lives close by.
    He was going Thursday, but he is under contract to the State of Florida for the game wardens and one of those boats broke down.
    I can't get to the documents yet, but I hope to have a peek at them sometime soon!
    Jason

5. pdave1s

pdave1s http://impboatclub.com

New 20' IMP Aztec owner

Hi all! I just aquired a 1970 20 foot IMP Aztec, and will be doing a complete rebuild and restore on it over the course of the next year.
    I plan to do this in stages, #1 will be to get it seaworthy and running, then the fun part begins.(Sanding, new gelcoat, upholstery,trailer rebuild, outdrive rebuild, engine overhaul, and detailing)
    [​IMG]
    I have restored several boats in the past, and have no doubts that this one will come out real nice.
    From my first inspections, the boat seems to be in pretty fair condition considering that it hasnt seen the water since 1999! It has been sitting outdoors, under a tarp during that time.
    The hull is in great shape, and the interior seems to be complete,and all original except for the carpeting.
    The engine is gone, but all the components to install a small block chevy 350 are there.
    I am going to photo document every step of the project and create a website with a detailed naration of the process.(I will post a link soon)
    Dave

6. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

If I got this to work I am attaching some photos. Can anyone tell me the model/year of this boat?Any comments as to condition? thanks! Jason

Attached Files:

7. pdave1s

Jason,
    your boat is an IMP AZTEC, as to the year, it is somewhere around the early 70's,(70,71,72.) mine is the same model(1970) but the dash instrumentation is more centered around the stearing wheel. Check the boat registration papers, they will have the exact year.
    The manuals for your outdrive and engine can be found at amazon.com.
    Are you sure you have a mercruiser outrive, as IMP mainly used omc?
    As to the condition of your boat, it appears to be in pretty fair shape, be sure to check all the wood components.(eg:fishing rod storage cover in the deck, and the structures around the fuel tanks, as these are the areas that seem to have the most problems in this model)
    Dave

8. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

Hi Dave,
    I cant get to the papers yet- it is an estate boat.
    I am trying to add a few more photos.

Attached Files:

9. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

Ttying a few shots- I am having trouble getting them all to upload at once!

10. desotopit

desotopit Junior Member

another try

Attached Files:

11. Ike

Ike Senior Member

In the engine room is a red label behind the blower. The photo is blurry so I can't read it. That's the capacity label put there by the builder. Sometimes they put the model and year on them, sometimes not. It's a pre 1972 label.

12. pdave1s

The pre 72's didnt list the year on the capacity label. As an estate sale item, the paperwork should be available for examination prior to the actual sale. As to putting a value on the boat, it is a matter of what it is worth to you, how much you need to put into it to get it running... MY guess would be in the neighborhood of $1500 or so.
    The one I just got, needs a motor, transom seal, and waterpump impeller just to get it in the water, but I got it for doing a couple of days worth of yard work, making it worth putting some money into it.
    Dave

13. pdave1s

Imp Boat Owners Club

I was wondering if any of the IMP owners here would be interested in forming an owners club? I have recently obtained a 1970 IMP AZTEC 20' that I am going to be doing a full restore on, and am planning on photo documenting the entire process. The project will be posted on http:www.impboatclub.com starting in about a week. I am estimating memberhip fees at around $4.00 a month, maybe less, depending on the number of interested people. If there is enough interest, to help support the cost of running a website(I have already purchased the domain, and obtained hosting services for the first month.) devoted to IMP, we could have a support library to upload and download files, documentation, ideas, share resources, .pdf files, classified ads, and maybe even have club gatherings around the country... could be fun, what say?
    Dave

14. pdave1s

Just a few photos of some of the surprises that can be had when rebuilding an OMC outdrive
    [​IMG]
    notice the wear on the ball gears on the upper haousing
    [​IMG]
    and the intermediat housing. If these can be found a a marine store, i am looking at about $800 in parts and seals
    [​IMG]
    If you are not going to re-assemble something within a few hours, a little labeling and organization can be a lifesaver!
    just a hint of some of the photos that will be posted on http://www.impboatclub.com in the next few days
    Dave

15. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I used to have a friend who owned a Marine repair shop. He was doing very well and I asked him what was the secret to his success. He said sterndrives. He said that 75% of the repairs they did were on sterndrives, and that he made a good profit on it.

From your photos above, I believe it!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.