I'm sure glad you guys are here today

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by thudpucker, Jul 4, 2011.

1. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

LOL, the pickling part must work. I saw an Eskimo asleep in a Snow Bank wearing his pants and a short sleeved shirt.
    After awhile he got up and staggered off.

I quit Lipitor a few months ago on the Diabetic Doc's recommendation. But just last week the Heart Doc went into a panic and I'm back on Lipitor.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

It also helps if you fall off a tall building .--Apparantly alcahol relaxes you so you can survive the imapact at the bottom better. Most drunks dont hurt themselves when they fall off a cliff.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

The pulmonary embolism comes straight from the DVT in the leg. The following sentence is incorrect:"If you get a DVT in the upper extremity it goes to the brain instead of the lung."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgI80Ue-AMo

4. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

Well now I am really getting confused. All those years of diagnosing and treating PE and brain infarcts, I always thought all venous blood goes to the RT atrium Rt vntricle and lungs before going to the arterial side and up to the brain. Unless there happens to be a defect(a hole in heart between Rt and Lt side). Emboli to the brain come from the arterial side Lt heart-Great vessels-neck and brain arteries, not veins. So I always put my catheters in those places looking for problems. There is such a thing as venous thrombosis associated with the brain but not to do with peripheral causes other than in an individual who is in a general strate of hypercoagulation.

1 person likes this.
  5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

eyschulman, you are right of course! I only relayed what I thought I was told my doctor. Should I have gotten a second opinion?

Thanks for helping clear away that misconception.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000156.htm

"Blood clots in the thigh are more likely to break off and cause pulmonary embolism (PE) than blood clots in the lower leg or other parts of the body."

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001102.htm has also been helpful to correct my inaccurate interpretation of what I was told.

They can, of course, go anywhere.

6. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

eyschulman good to have you on board.
    I never knew what was going to happen if part of that clot broke loose. I just assumed the story was going to be short from that moment to the end.

My swelling has gone way down, and I am about to start walking for exercise pretty soon.
    I hope you keep hearing from me. :)

7. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

Thudpucker what you have is common. While it can be very serious the vast majority of cases respond well to therapy and future prevention. What do you think about the idea of hooking up your computer display to a reclining bike and allowing it to function only while you are pedaling. What a way to get in shape and avoid DVT.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I would advize you to not be confused and to take the information here with a pinch of salt. This is a boat forum.

9. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

MY Doc and the Visiting nurse disagree on Exercise.
    The Heart Doc don't think exercise is a good idea either. but they want me to lose weight and stay in shape.
    So I walk around slowly and not too far.

I have the Keyboard in my lap, and my leg up on pillows while I'm at the PC.