I'm sure glad you guys are here today

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by thudpucker, Jul 4, 2011.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

That's the pits!

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I got some olive oil, its expired though, It smells like engine oil although its extra virginio.

If I boiled it up do you think it will revive its wonderful Mediterranean medicinal properties or is it only suitable for external use now on the lawn mower.

Its expensive.

3. hoytedow

4. hoytedow

Soap from olive oil: http://www.eaudrey.com/basic2.htm

Olive Oil Soap
    Ingredients
    50 ounces olive oil
    7 ounces lye
    20 ounces cold water

Instructions
    Follow Steps in Basic Soap instructions up to Step 12. Because this recipe has only liquid oils, the wrapped mold must be checked twice a day. Simply unwrap the mold and remove the lid. If there is a layer of oil on top, carefully stir it back into the soap with a wooden spoon. Replace the lid and rewrap the soap. Check the soap every twelve hours until the oil is absorbed, then proceed as usual.

Basic soap instructions, briefly:
    1. Read directions for recipe to make sure you have the required ingredients and gear.
    2. Use safety gloves and goggles or eyeglasses.
    3. Weigh the required amount of water (distilled is best) into one of the pitchers. To do this place an empty pitcher on the scale and set to zero. Now measure the amount of water.
    4. Using the same method as above weigh the lye needed in the second pitcher.
    5. Carefully pour the lye into the pitcher containing the water. You must avoid splashing-this is the most dangerous step!
    Never add the water to the lye.
    6. Stir solution gently with a wooden spoon until dissolved. Make sure you have sufficient ventilation. Resist the temptation to lean over the pitcher to get a good look. You do not want to breathe anywhere near this container.
    7. While the lye is cooling, melt the fats. The temperature of both must eventually be brought to 100 degrees simultaneously. If the lye solution cools too much, put the pitcher in a pan or bowl of hot water.
    8. Double-check the temperatures of the lye and fat solutions to be sure they are 100-110 degrees (equal temperature is desired).
    9. While stirring the fats, pour the lye solution into the melted fat/oil in a thin stream. Stir continuously to ensure the lye mixes into the fat.
    10. Continue stirring in a carefully manner to avoid splashing. The mixture should start thickening. You will eventually see "trailings" or lines on the surface. This could take 20 minutes to an hour, usually closer to one hour. Be careful using hand mixers as they can speed things up too much.
    11. Pour this liquid soap into your large plastic container mold. Put the lid on and wrap with the towel.
    Put the wrapped mold in a warm place and allow to set for 48 hours.
    12. After 48 hours, unwrap the mold. The soap should still be warm. If the surface is still very soft leave lid off for a day.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Could I make salad dressing instead. I can buy soap.

6. hoytedow

wiseass

7. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Adler is probably laughing at you guys.
    Doc says I wont lose any body parts. Gave me a shot in the butt that still hurts. Ruddy Red coloring made him think my leg was infected.
    Medical coverage hurts in the Wallet, and also where you got the coverage, right under the wallet. :)

8. Adler

Adler Senior Member

Notes

Dear All,

The rules of thumb said that the pure Olive Oil never expired.

Lets now go back now to the principals of our marine-subject and the most respective scientist - Archimedes.

One thousand and a half years before Archimedes was born there was grown up in the Island Crete (South Aegean Sea - Greece) a Civilization known as Minoan.

There, they were found the manner to build and develop Food Stores besides to Logistic Methods were managing them.

This Civilization was also known from the Myth of Labyrinth - Minotaur.

The Quantities that they stored was Honey, Olives , Olive Oil , Wine and Wheat.

The need that forced them to start the Stores' Project was mainly the Commercial Activity targeting to the Mediterranean Ports markets.

Besides the Ceramic Industry that purchased them with the necessary receptacles , they found through the time specific manners to handle the goods and
    these were involved and begun due to the production process.

In case of Olive-Oil, after the Pressure Process of the Olives on Stones-Mill the produced fluid was run through open pipelines to water pools that were half filled with the water.
    Every water pool was full filled at the rest half with Olive's mixture and remained calm at steady level more than two (2) months.

There the gravity separated the pure Olive-Oil from the rest Olive's mixture components.

Finally the Pure Oil was remained at the top.

This Oil was stored and the next years was loaded to the Minoan Commercial Ships for Sale to the Mediterranean Ports.

The only protection measurement that they took is to avoid the Sun light to touch the Oil mass at the stores and a second the Store's environment temperature
    to be never exceeded up to 22°C.
    This was the main reason that built the Stores underground.
    The same condition was also created to the Ships' bilges under the second deck.

Cheers :cool: ;) :idea: :)

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its 30 degrees in the shade here, I would have thought a similar climate to Greece.

You say olive oil never expires but never to store over 22*

What happens if it does go over 22*

cant you boil it and re virgin it? its not cheap!

10. Adler

Adler Senior Member

Reminder

We noted underground Stores.

If an underground Store has 30°C then the Surface temp under shadow is over 45°C depended to the atmospheric air mass flow and direction (or where comes from).

But the most important as noted is to avoid the Sun light touches the Oil mass by any mean.:!:

11. hoytedow

So when you store all thes items together, it makes the island explode? Wheat silos explode over here.
    Just joking. :p

I know it was a volcano.

12. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

We see that on the Deep Sea diving shows on TV. Those big Ceramic Jar's the Oil and Wine were shipped in are still intact, although the oil is gone.

That was a nice trip through the History of Olive oil. Thanks Adler.

The Little Ice age, about 600 yrs ago was pretty hard on the Olive and Grape harvests. So people started migrate toward the Fermented Booze. Liquer and Beer became popular and were brought to America before the Wine industry got started here.

I never heard of Oilve oil in America as people hear used animal fats in the frying pan. I think that's why so many of us have genetic heart problems.

13. hoytedow

Attached Files:

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Duh,--I still don't know if I can boil it and re virgin it.

I guess I never will,--- sigh--- thats life I suppose.

15. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Use Adlers method. Put it in the Chilly water and the Oil will come to the top, the 'stuff' including any impurities will sink into the water. Takes about a month.

or....eat more salads and it wont spoil on you :)