If an oars man rowed:

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BHOFM, Aug 2, 2009.

1. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

Unnecessary Complications is 48" at the chine and 51" at
    the shear and just under 12'. 222lbs in full sailing dress.
    That includes motor and battery. It carries 55 feet of sail
    in a leg o' mutton rig.

My motor is a 30lb thrust and is more than I need. It has
    five speeds and I seldom use #3 unless the weather is
    bad.

I spent the day on the lake, winds started out light but
    by the end of the day were 15/20mph and directionally
    stable. If I can get some just over 20mph it will plane
    in just the right conditions.

It sails so nicely I don't want to do any thing to mess it
    up. I don't row that often so I can live with it.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Dont mess with success. I take it that "Unnecessary Complications" is the name you have given your boat. No doubt there is hidden signifigance in the name.

My boat is too wide for a really good rowing boat, too narrow for comfortable sailing, but just right with the little electric troller. "Goldilocks" seemed appropriate. I once read of a man who commissioned the build of a cruising boat. Production delays, cost over runs, and various other nefarious difficulties was most annoying for him. He named the boat "ODTAA", abbreviating One Damned Thing After Another.

One of the many racing dinghys in my past was a Laser. It was a bear to hold flat when going to windward on account of my sparse 160 pound weight. I'd be hurting after every regatta. The boat earned its name; Torturak. My A-Cat demanded a considerable degree of agility with its' single handed trapeze work. Elizabeth Taylor was a suitable name on account of the imagined scrambling of a Cat On A Hot Tin Roof. It never really had that name, but when it went really fast it was WHOOOOEEE!

Keep on rowing, sailing, and funnin'.

3. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

4. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

When I was rowing a lot I had big problems in a breeze due to the high windage of my boat.

I added a skeg (which broke off because I just glued it on) and then later I added a rudder. The rudder has more drag.

I would really advise you to add a skeg, makes a huge difference in controllability and makes rowing much more enjoyable, with the skeg you can just concentrate on going forwards (backwards) without having to constantly adjust your rowing to take into account small errors in direction. Makes the whole thing more enjoyable.

Keep at it and you will put on muscle. You have an advantage in that your boat is not too big, there is an ideal size for a one man rowing boat about 13 to 15ft and yours is close

n peter evans