Ideas for DIY home made spear gun.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

cherry bombs kill real well but watch out for the back spray 15' Also a 22 pistol with a baby bottle nipple over the barrel end. Almost zero sound.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

As simply to do/use, even a simpleton can easily learn how to cast it successfully ? :D:D:p:p

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I just want to walk around the marina and occasionally spear a fish without allarm or fuss.

Is dynamite the best you can come up with?

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Only a septic septic would offer that idea, unless it was savagely tongue in cheek

5. lazerus

lazerus Junior Member

People around the marina might worry if they see a loaded spear gun
    A long spear (most of the length in the water)with a line to a detachable point might work.

6. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

You may be able to buy some carbon or glass fibre tent poles for a crossbow spring. I use spring steel but that is not real easy to get hold of. The tent poles are used for lightweight tents and camping suppliers usually sell spare ones. Here is a sample:
    http://www.tentspares.co.uk/tent-poles/vango-11mm-proshield-poles-2012058-29053-591130.php

Play around with a couple of them configured to get suitable tension. Need to glue the metal end caps in place so they make firm connectors for the tension string.

The most important feature is the trigger. It needs a quick release latch system. With something like this you might get suitable accuracy and power over 20ft. You will have to allow for the surface diffraction when aiming.

You can catch mullet with a very small hook and bread made into dough so it stays on the hook. A few bread crumbs or small dough balls sprinkled on the surface and slowly sinking usually gets them excited. I do not consider them bony. Garfish, long tom and barracuda are much worse. After trying barracuda fillets I would not recommend them unless you plan on a long and tedious meal.

Rick W

Attached Files:

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

There you see thats what I was looking for, thanks Rick.

can you show a pic of what you made?

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks Rick - takes and expert and I am obviously not one when it comes to fishing... :D:D Good luck Frosty.... I'll stick to Kangaroo meat for its sustainability and Emu as my chicken substitute and continue to buy my fish at the corner store till I am sailing at least - then just haul a lure for something a reasonable size...

9. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

No - I believe they are illegal. That aside. mine is long gone - I think. I made it for the kids years ago but even with a rubber tipped arrow it was too dangerous. It could certainly stun a bird at 20ft.

From memory I ganged two 8mm Carbon Fibre pole sections about 2ft long and it was a bit weak. You might need to get hold of some rod and test it - gang them if necessary. To have an effective (and dangerous) device you need to strain to load it. Some of the real ones used cranks:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossbow

Trigger systems that hold the string directly are probably better than those using a dedent on the arrow. Just make sure the string is not deflected by the trigger cam lever when it folds down.

The advantage with a simple crossbow is the ease of aiming although modern long bows have accurate sights these days.

There are heaps of pictures of trigger systems around the web:
    http://www.thebeckoning.com/medieval/crossbow/my-xbow.html
    http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/Technologies08.asp

Finding a good spring is the hard part. The fibreglass poles should do the job. Might take some trial and error. Just don't have an error when you fire it. With the right arrow it will be deadly.

Rick W

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im not sure if they are illegal here. The thing is they are envionmentally friendly because they are selective and only the one you want is caught.

If they are illegal it will be because of the obvious dangers in using such a thing, they can take a human life.

I have been looking on the internet as well and have found one in the Practical mechanics magazine of 1953. I now have something in mind although I have one or two triggers too.

Point taken about deflecting the wire as it is released.

Right then,--a walk on the beach tomorrow to look for a piece of wood iether that or cycle down to the sports shop and see if they sell crossbows H ha ha I forgot about the sports shop.

No No only joking ,I want to make something, nothing else to do.

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Frosty, how about a trap, an old bird cage or get some chicken wire, if they're illegal where your at & you get busted try complaining about your chookens being stolen & your coup having been thown overboard! & much safer too! All the best in your fishing endeavours from Jeff.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Traps are not illegal , you can buy them for 1 dollar 50. I can get grouper and rock cod and ofcourse blue swimmer crabs.

But I want to shoot the ********.

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Then stop buggering around and get a 44 automag. People around the marina will still be worried but you can tell them you are the security guard :rolleyes: and one of your duties is to shoot fish entering the marina illegally ;)

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

15. bntii

bntii Senior Member

While wandering about the marina looking at the fish.. case a suitable sailboat with good strong glass fiber battens in the mainsail. I believe a bow could be fashioned for a long bow or the crossbow. Keep the first piece the whole length and build up three battens- shortening by 1/3 each time. I'd start by lashing with dental floss and maybe end up gluing up at the end of the when I had it sorted. Reeds for arrows, fletching from gull feathers and chicken bones for the barb. :) You will have to come up with a bow string.... spectra?

Getting ready for the hunter gathering epoch which is coming down the pike?