i550 hard chine sportboat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by timber, May 9, 2011.

1. timber

timber Junior Member

It has been described as an ugly duckling. However the number of boats is steadily increasing. As of May there are about 380 plan sets and about two dozen are about to launch and join the dozen already sailing. Simple to build and cheap is the route to bring more people to sailing

2. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

I like the boat and agree with your conclusion. I don't agree with the "ugly" label - but then again I'm not a trust fund boomer that spends more time in the bar than on the water.

The example built by Meade and Jan Gougeon is very nice.

--
    CutOnce

3. timber

timber Junior Member

Thanks for the eye is in the beauty of the beholder. There is a great youtube video of the Gougeon Brothers build; classical music (hi,yo silver) and the link is here
    i550class.org and i550.org.

4. timber

timber Junior Member

5. wheels

wheels Junior Member

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/easy-build-but-ugly-bad-idea-37044.html#post448941

6. timber

timber Junior Member

i550's, Puddle Ducks and launchings

During the last few weeks another i550 has been launched in Portland OR. You can check into i550na.org to follow up on this one.
    Another i550 is going to splash on Flathead Lake, Montana. It is a beautiful little boat. Go to i550class.org for this one.
    Interestingly, PHRF around the country has given the i550 ratings anywhere from 120 (ouch) to 174. We think that an average of the two might be accurate.

On the other hand the purpose of this design is to open the eyes of the young and old (that would be me) to high performance sailing, not to do any rating busting.

Like the Puddle Duck the i550 is the most economic way to build a boat to get out on the water. We just made a point on one end.
    T

7. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I think the I550 is a cool boat . Btw I have seen similar hull designs as large a 44 feet .

8. BPGougeon

BPGougeon Junior Member

I highly recommened the i550. The boat you saw on the linked video is an absolute blast. I cant wait for the water to warm up a little. I plan to spend most of the summer on that boat.

2 people like this.
  9. timber

timber Junior Member

Thank you for the words of support.
    Tim

10. timber

timber Junior Member

Time to bring the fans of the i550 up to date. We have recently sent plan set 415 out. There are 8 or more building in Tasmania in anticipation of the upcoming trailer sailer and sportboat nationals. Portland Oreon is a center for the PNW with carbon rigs arriving for 5 boats and a recent launch on Flathead Lake , Montana.

11. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Timber, where are the carbon rigs being made?

-jim lee

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  12. timber

timber Junior Member

An update is in order for the i550. We've been busy and Plan set #454 just found a home in Corpus Christie, TX. Also Eastern and Southern Europe are getting plan sets. This summer (winter for you antipodeans) will see the doubling of the number of boats sailing in the US and Australia.
    Cheaper, faster, funner

1 person likes this.
  13. Jetboy

Jetboy Senior Member

I was very close to building an i550 before settling on an 18' folding trimaran. I would love to race head to head against an i550 to see how the two home-built boats compare. I think I'll have a bit more time involved and possibly a little more $ in materials, but I think we'll be pretty close. I think the sail areas will be close as well. Any chance there are any being built in Utah?

14. timber

timber Junior Member

i550 in utah

There are none building in Utah that I know of. However there might be and I just don't know about it. Check the map at i550sportboat.com to see if there is a planset orbuilder or sailing i550 near your location.

15. Jetboy

Jetboy Senior Member

It looks like there is one building near me. I'm not sure I'll even be on the water this season, but if all goes well I might be sailing by fall. If so I'll have to try to get in touch with him and see if he wants to go sailing some afternoon.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.