I want to pick your brains :D

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by student.matt, Jul 12, 2006.

1. student.matt

student.matt New Member

Ok i am a total novice and in my free time i want to build me something like a bassboat but on a smaller scale can seat 1-2 people would have a place to stand up front( or the hole thing would maybe be a standing platform ) with like a trolling motor on the back maybe. but i really dont know much about about building and alot of sites i look at couse confusion, i am more interested in composite boats becouse it seems most bassboats are made out of composite materials also it seems more cost effective, and how would i stabalize a boat in the water so i could be stood on and walked around on without swaying massivly like most alluminum boats ive been fishing in... also once i build a boat do these things need titles.. how would i get one?

also are composite boats made out of only composite materials or is there a wooden frame under it like i see on some sites.... are they filled with some kind of meterial so there is no hallow spots.... ?????

ok for now i am done picking your brains hopfully i didnt pick them all away :D

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Well, this is what we're here for :)
    Advice 1: Full sentences and punctuation will make your posts a lot easier to read.
    Advice 2: Don't try to design a hull yourself; rather, find plans you like and build from them. There are a LOT of plans available for small boats if you look around.
    Advice 3: Try the "Search" button on this forum. There's a lot of other people trying their first boat projects too!
    Advice 4: As for legal stuff, pick up a copy of the small vessel construction standards (your local coast guard office will help you find what applies to you) and make sure you follow their guidelines. Registration of a homebuilt boat is pretty easy, but you need to build to the appropriate standards if you want insurance.
    Advice 5: The local public library will probably have some books on fibreglass boat construction. Give them a try, it's a bit too involved to explain in full on a message board like this.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.