I think Ive made resin mistake

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I was not aware of it being any kind of standard procedure its just the first thing I thought of to quickly and easily get what amounts to a plastic off a metal. Yup its going to billow black acrid smoke for a short time but once its all burned out whats left should easy to remove.

I mention the marshmallows not just as a snarky remark but because around here at least your not allowed a fire unless your cooking over it. So anytime we want to light something up we always keep some dogs or whatever handy for when the fire dep shows up. We usually offer them a brew ( they always turn it down, then of course we offer the driver a couple to go, also generally refused). Might have the same rules around there as here. Anyway its an idea and I"d be thinking about letting that guy with the torch have at it. the higher the burn temp the less toxins in the smoke and the better for the environment it is :D:D:D

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well I hav'nt set fire to it yet,---im still thinking--

Its a perfect tank on the outside!! what about having another go with coal tar epoxy again on the inside? like a tank in a tank. Or just normal epoxy?

Thats more or less what I wanted with the resin but it dint work--at all. It sort of half covered now, A bloody mess really.

A lovely black interior of coal tar epoxy would be great but would fuel E85 attack it?

I hope some one chirps in by morning. Any way Im going down the pub now to think about it some more.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

not my realm of know how Frosty
    I'd just start over after a small weeny roast
    someone else will have to advise you as to how to go the more epoxy rout

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Why not leave all the debris from rust and polyester in the tank and encapsulate it with a tank liner... that's sold to be able to cope with the fuel... for example like the one in post #11 . . ? ?

Did a solution came up . . ? ? :D

Good Luck!
    Angel

1 person likes this.
  5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I cant buy tank liner!! if I could I would not be asking silly questions.

What is tank liner, it was made on this planet with a product I should be aware of and maybe acquire.

Epoxy, coal tar epoxy, polyester resin--( not thats not it) ErrrZinc chromate primer, galvanising paint, top coat lacquer?

There is nothing on the internet that will tell you how to seal a E85 fuel tank except to say "tank liner"

Thats like saying only feed your fish with "fish food".

No the pub didnt help, but I am going out now to search the entire area for A --a tank,-- B-- tank liner,--C a tank repairer,--- D something else, E---sausages.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

sausage cleaners ?
    bound to be some of those in Thailand

ok tank liner =
    rubber bladder that goes in the tank kinda like a balloon
    rather than a goo that you slosh around and hope it sticks

7. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

On the forum Frosty is a tank liner denier but I got this footage from his neighbour while Frosty was busy in his back yard . . . :D

Cheers ;)
    Angel

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ok I walked into Mr paint, A woman shouted out me "wha you wa mr? you wa color"

I said I don't want colour I want some paint any colour that dont come of with benzine.

She looked at me like she had found me stuck to the bottom of her shoe.

Sigh--any paint any colour that dont come off with benzine, she handed me a litre tin of coal tar epoxy and rang Jotun hotline. The person at the other end wasnt sure ( I can understand a bit of whats going on) and suggested penguard primer.

I frowned --I know penguard primer (supplied in gallons)--I said I will stay with the coal tar,-- how much,--5 dollar. Its out in the sun now drying after good scrub with soap powder. Not the coal tar --the tank.

If your religious,-- a little prayer would be nice right now thank you.

Tank sealer ?---never heard of such a thing. Fuel injector cleaner, shampoo, oil flush, ha ha you name it ive had it offered.

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

10. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Frosty,

I have previously sent this to you, but you must have not read it.

http://www.por15.com/Fuel-System-Restoration/products/12/

This product has been around for years and it works well as long as you do what they ask you to do...simple really. It puts a liner into the old tank , seals it up, and resists fuels.....what more could you want.....

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I dont want to be rude but im getting there I CANT BUY TANK SEALER --you must not have read it.

This means that tank sealer is not available --or if you like tank sealer can not be found any where.

Where is the "F " in tank sealer.

There is no "f in tank sealer. Tank sealer ? NO HAVE.

I cant buy Fking tank sealer. Not nowhere NO fking tank sealer.

If any one else tells me to buy fking tank sealer im gonna blow my O ring.

Ahem --- now I have sealed the inside of the tank with coal tar epoxy, it looks good, all shiny black done with the chain yes. If this works Im happy,--- if it don't im gonna top myself.

E 85 even eats fibre glass apparently. If I make a tank its gotta be epoxy --I think.

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

LOL, you answered yourself here...

It's right at the beginning !

Re asking for the right product has in SA about the same reaction you got there. People are as dumb as ground when it comes to technical things, no one wants to think any more. It's easier to not help the customer than to find out what it is they want.

13. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I thought alcohol was added to gas to absorb water, as in gas tank antifreeze, so why would using gasohol cause rust?

“The Missing Link” - ?

Frosty; the only things I can come up with now - using my “if you can’t beat them join them and if you can’t join ‘em run” doctrine are:

Install a small inline tank to allow crud to settle, and flush it often

or

leave the tank as a decorative feature and install a nice new one disguised as luggage

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I guess that alcahol is less oily than petrol so it will rust quicker. Im still not sure if E85 is 85% petrol or 85% alcahol, there are web sites that suggest both.

But its fuel lines that are the problem even though it says on then made in USA petrol and oil pipe.

Why the government insists that we use this fuel that can not be carried easily is difficult to understand.

I have also read that E 85 will eventually eat through a fibre glass tank, I find that difficult to believe but it certainly changed the properties of resin as top coat.

I assume that epoxy would be ok, but I don't know, I don't know anything.

Like,-- what is water based epoxy and what does solvent free mean?

The coal tar is looking good,--it 24 hours now and I can't break it down with petrol and even thinners on the residue in the mix pot.

15. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Put some sort of bladder in it, maybe.