I need help building this aluminum boat

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by palmettoknife, Feb 10, 2012.

1. palmettoknife

palmettoknife New Member

Looking for a set of plans for this boat...What gauge aluminum? How far apart
    for the floor braces? What size braces should I use? I need the boat to be
    8 foot by 24-26 foot long...

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Palmetto,

Coming to a design website and asking help stealing plans for a boat currently in commercial production is generally considered bad form. I would suggest thinking of either buying a boat from the manufacturer, likely for what it would cost to build, or looking for free plans of a similar type of boat.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't know of any free aluminum, welded jon boat plans available. I also don't think he's looking to "steal" a design, but purchase plans.

You may want to try Glen-L and see what they have. > Glen-L.com <

4. palmettoknife

palmettoknife New Member

I am not looking to copy someones design...I am using this picture as a example..I am looking for a large flat bottom design with a open floor plan..
    Also I am going to put in a motor well so it can be used as a net boat for
    commercial shrimping...I will be more than happy to buy a set of plans..I have not been able to find any...Sorry for the confusion....Also why do most of the large aluminum boats only have a 6 foot wide bottom???

Thanks Shad

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

6 foot wide plus the flare to the sides generally comes out to a boat about 8 feet wide, which is the maximum trailerable width in most states.

6. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Palmetto,

I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

I did some looking, and found http://www.bodenboatplans.com/product_info.php?products_id=8 this is a little smaller than you were looking, but you might be able to contact the designer about stretching it.

The reason most boats have 8' max width (not 6) is two fold. The first is that maximum width of a boat on a trailer is 8' so any wider than this means you have to have special permits. The second reason is that most commercial materials are available in 4' widths. Aluminium plate for instance can be bought off the shelf 4' or 8' wide. Certainly it can be custom ordered, but the cost goes up dramatically. It is of course possible to weld three plates together to get a 12' wide plate, but this is again additional cost and complexity.

As for why you have seen boats six foot wide... I couldn't guess, I have never noticed that phenomina.

1 person likes this.
  7. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

That drawing looks like a boat I went fishing in last year. A guided CatFishing trip.
    The Boat handled very well too.
    The metal was Thick. The boat was heavy. But it got up on plane quick and rode very well in choppy River water.
    I wish you well.

8. palmettoknife

palmettoknife New Member

Thanks for the input...I have built boats before out of fiberglass...This will be my first out of aluminum...Sorry for some of elementary questions...What is the best way to get the ribs formed in the sides and bottom???

Thanks Shad

9. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

It depends on what type of ribs, and the attachment methods, and how much you are willing to spend.

In a large commercial shop you would likely use a hydrolics press to stamp the shapes out of aluminium plate. You could probably do most of the entire construction of a boat in just a few steps, though the set up cost would be million. But if you are selling thousands of them it isn't a problem.

For a one off build, either a Hand break machine if you have one available, or if not cut each piece, then weld it into place. A hand break is usually found in even small metal fabrication shops, so you might be able to either pay them to form the sheets, or rent access to the machine for a relatively small fee. Unless you are used to doing this type of work, asking them to do it is probably a better option though.

10. The Loftsman

The Loftsman The Loftsman

Floor braces????
    Where i come from braces are for holding up what the Americans call pants!

Amazing what some people come up with.....

11. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Where I come from braces are what dentists use to straighten your teeth.

12. The Loftsman

Te,he nice one.There is always more than one meaning in english

13. Saildude

Saildude Junior Member

Then there is the Brace and bit when you are drilling a hole by hand using a Wood Auger Bit.

14. The Loftsman

Good one Saildude, there is only one tool there and yet a brace is classed as two?
    Hows the weather over there in lovely Seattle!

15. Saildude

Saildude Junior Member

The Brace by it's self does not do much so you need the bit for the Brace to be much more than a wall hanging (OK you can also get countersinks, screwdrivers etc. for use with a Hand Brace) - I could not figure out how to get just the Brace in without referencing something else -

Seattle is Mostly sunny today and Sunday - high about 66 degrees - - But if we wait until Tuesday or so the showers should be back to normal -

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.