I found my next kayak, now I just need a design

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by cthippo, May 7, 2011.

1. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Went out to the WAKE demo day today and tried on a few boats. I didn't find anything I like better overall than my current Emotion Edge, but I did paddle a neat littl boat that really turned my crank. It's a Sterling Grand Illusion 17'3" x 23.5" and the model I paddled can be had for a mere $5000. :eek:

It wasn't perfect, I felt that the cockpit was a little cramped for my size extra-fat ***, though a lot more comfortable than some of the boats I paddled today. As you can see it's a fairly narrow design with a lot of rocker and apparently optimized for surf and open water. What I liked about it was it's speed and seakeeping ability without taking a mile to turn. The fact that I could fit into it was nice too.

So now the challenge is to find of create a design that incorporates these features but that I can build with cedar strip construction. The ones he builds are GRP or carbon fiber, and aside from being about an order of magnitude out of my price range, I just don't trust glass boats to take the amount of abuse I heap on them.

So, does anyone know of plans for a similar design?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]