Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Leo Lazauskas, Oct 29, 2012.

1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

I am and have always been a great fan of technology.
    We are blundering through a (very brief) period in our technological development where fossil fuels dominate.
    I don't have much respect for this as I see straight combustion as a means of extracting energy as having barely risen over the campfire..

It is my believe that as we progress answers will be worked out to maintain our populations against the growing threats to our agricultural base and to resolve our energy needs.
    I am not a 'tree hugger' but am a hip boots wading in the salt marsh style naturalist.
    I like the out of doors and think that caution should be used in regards to meeting out immediate needs while not trashing the place..

Carry on- but use what we know and can learn about our needs and how we meet them.
    This approach requires science- lots of it.

2. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

So what happens to the water frozen in land supported glaciers as they melt?
    In the last 150 years the ambient sea level at New York has risen 1 foot according to this radio interview with Martin Hoerling of the NOAA Earth Systems Laboratory.
    If you want to answer at a different thread then please do that and supply a link.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

In a 150 years New York has been weighted down by A LOT of iron, steel and other things brought there by Man. The water will seek its own level and evaporate, forming clouds, which will travel across the globe to either be captured as ice crystals or rain down somewhere. The land weighted down by glacier loss will rise to some extent. Without glaciers melting we would not have the unique geologic structures seen in Central Park, NYC.

Last year and this year:

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/deetest/deetmp.25732.png
    [​IMG]

4. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I actually agree with you to the extent that I don't think the increased capacity of a warmer atmosphere to hold water has been adequately taken into account in some predictions of sea level rise. But I also don't see why you think the ocean is uniquely exempt from receiving some of that water. The U.S. Navy has concluded it is rising and is tracking the rate. I think that data is consistent with the the rate cited in post #158.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Personally I believe that east coast sea level rise is one hundred percent man made and can be attributed to boats. To many dam boats. Infestations.

Each new boat launch displaces water. 4 billion new launches each year on the east coast can easily displace enough water to raise the sea level a few feet. Keep your boats on dry land and save America. Its your patriotic duty . HAVE I BEEN PERFECTLY CLEAR ?

1 person likes this.
  6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Did I not say the water seeks its own level? To some that would indicate it runs downhill. What do you find if you go downhill? The Ocean. :idea:

Michael, 150 years ago there were a lot fewer ships, and they were a lot smaller. That may be what caused the rise.

Erosion will eventually put everything in the Ocean, even boats. May as well have fun with them. :D

7. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Michael, they must have some terrific drugs in Spain. Your statements above are hilarious. I'm with the climate scientists. They have been telling us for decades (and screaming bloody murder about it the last several years) that increased climate temps will increase sea levels. The US east coast and any coast line in the world that is not sufficiently elevated will eventually be vulnerable to castrophic flooding. I read one scary report about the potential devistating impact on Egypt. If the Mediterranean rises just a meter or so, much of the Nile Delta will be under water. Considering the Nile Delta provides the food for that society there's no doubt starvation will begin.

Ref: http://www.climate.org/topics/international-action/egypt.html

The last few years have globally brought epic tsunamis, hurricanes, typhoons, cyclones, earth quakes, forest fires...you name the catastrophe...it's happened and then some in the last few years.

Rather than recommending people ditch their boats I would say "It's time to build more boats, especially if you live near flooding oceans, lakes & rivers. All low-lying cities can do is advise citizens retreat from vulnerable areas and move to higher ground. Building sea walls, hurricane barriers, etc. is only a band-aid. Long term people just need to move to higher ground. :idea::idea::idea:

8. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Just heard there is another storm with potential to make landfall again along the same northern coastline next week, I hope not.

It seems that with these climatic changes affecting the Alantic, creating ever more more frequent and more powerful storms that the eastern seaboard is going to need a major rethink.

Its a situation of 'house was broken into, insurance company replaces stolen goods and thieves return for a second shot', that's not a substanable economic or life style position so something has to change.

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

In all of the catastrophes mentioned above that last place I would be is on a boat. You not seen all the boats piled up in the car park on top of one another . The sea just spits them out.

The best place to be in theses situations is now where near.

10. michael pierzga

Actually a boat is not a bad place to be. Usually the danger, when anchored in storm force conditions, is other boat breaking free and smashing into you. Then its the domino effect. If you have to ride about a storm at anchor stay clear of crowded harbours with unattended boats.

1 person likes this.
  11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You guys ever been in a storm on a boat. It makes you prey to any god you may not believe in. All you can think about is surviving --reducing personal exhaustion and damage , reducing damage to the boat. Its not a nice place to be --up a tree is better.

You think riding out a storm on anchor is safe> firstly its very unlikely your anchor will hold. You never get caught in a storm on anchor, you think you go below and put the kettle on!!! Why is is that you think its always the other guy that will beak free!!!! You will probably find your the only one there and there will usually be a reason for that.

Please com on, the howling wind is enough to frighten you for life.

Ok I understand you obviously not experienced in these things.

The Bounty has just been lost with some crew in this very storm and we are discussing this as a safe place to be?????

12. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Agreed 100%
    I got caught in F9 in Aegean off Rhodos heading back to Bodum. If I had known the coast better would have run earlier for a shelter bay but had no choice but to stay out so I ran for deep water.

Spent 12hrs riding it out solo but lots of boats close in didn't do well, quite few got smashed and sunk others holed on shore or reef then left high and dry.

Most frightning experience I ever have had on the water

13. michael pierzga

Couple years ago I rode out a severe gale at anchor. The water was smoking, On my port side an unattended small plastic sailboats roller furling Genoa unfurled. The Genoa sheet caught something , sail trimmed and the boat was knocked flat. Gradually its ground tackle gave way and she sailed out of the harbour and full speed. Fun to watch

14. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

:D
    :D

15. michael pierzga

The bounty captain was foolish.

Remember, many times the reason you are riding out a gale at anchor is because you are coming in from the ocean to escape bad weather and protect your boat and crew.. Its entirely possible that by the time you fetch sheltered coastal water that the wind is already upon you . It would be impossible to enter a marina or port at 2 am when its blowing storm force.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.