Human Powered Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SolomonGrundy, Feb 12, 2005.

1. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

what if you run into a larger boat with a reallly deep draft? What if you run into a large marine animal? How'd he see out? Plexiglass window? And what legal issues could you run into? And what if the tube becomes mangled etc? Would he then have to carry a SCUBA tank or two for those 'just in case' scenarios? What about escaping if an emergency arose? It seems a little too complicated. I do see your point about efficiency and such, but I really think it's too complicated-constructionwise and contingencywise.

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I think Solomon Is totally commited. He is asking more for ways of doing it . After a certain point in projects like these. Some people just stop thinking and talking and walk purposefully to the vehicle. I hope Solomon does not do that before he is aware all the possibilities. Efficiency and safety are really equal.

3. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Holy Crap...

Hello...

Work it up - sell it as a prototype - SELL space on the boat - find some local fool to film you - or provide uplink service for same...

Radar with proximity warning - F'in coffee maker - HOLY CONTAINER SHIP - GPS and an auto uplink to a website and sponsor tracking system - kids from the local schools - contact your local PBS broadcasters or the Discovery group for same...

Hang a shingle at the liqour store or the local marine supply - people are hungry to give fivers to some one they can see themselves in minus a wife and kids...:)

Small inflatable on a break away sensor - from a sponsor too...

SPONSOR SPONSOR SPONSOR...

Technology can help to pull this off - don't be a luddite in the name of saving someone who has some INSANE vision...:)

Email ALL the high end bike gear manufacturers - THIS is something they can really sell their equipment against if you pull it off - you will be suprised what they will GIVE you - pit nationals against each other - Japs vs. English and such...

Hope I am making sense - probably not...

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE - go off on your own...

Yup...

Cheers - good luck...

SH.

4. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Sean, is to be your sponsor collector. He has the bussiness sense to come back after each begging session with his pockets full of goddies. You need a team of supporters who are shameless.

5. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

Check out http://www.deepflight.com/subs/ . I rest my case.

6. mackid068

Ok, ok. But the Deepflight subs seem to use electric (?) power. If he's using pedal power, he can go for a long period of time, at least until food and water run out. And I guess a submersible could be a good idea, but what about construction? Would our brave pedaller need insulation, a secondary hull structure? How would the ballast system work? Do you want water ballast? It IS complicated.

7. Sean Herron

Goodies or Gods...

Hello...

If anyone has cheques in the mail - I will be anyones dog - I will piss on every hydrant of funding I can paste my balls too - to...:)

But wait - anyone can do that S--T these days...

Really - perhaps we should stop all this ****** - psuedo online engineering CRAP - meaning psuedo online engineering CRAP - and link this guy up with some 'crazy assed money people'...

RICHARD BRANSON - Virgin International...:)

Thats what I think now - yup - this guy has already got a design contract going - now he needs expedition funding from some or several crazy assed gin swilling mega yacht owners that need a show for kicks - or a charity write off...

Or a MOTHER ship...

There is always a shameless money mucker behind any endeavor that will attract public and corporate attention - it's a 20 something century corporate oil war democracy thing - that just won't go away...:)

WHAT Corporate HYDRANT SHOULD I PASTE MY BALLS ONTO...:)

I like that analogy...

Best of...

Sh.

8. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

Mac,
    You wrote:And I guess a submersible could be a good idea, but what about construction? Would our brave pedaller need insulation, a secondary hull structure? How would the ballast system work? Do you want water ballast? It IS complicated.

Well this whole thing is complicated. The trick is to make it do-able. Solomon told us he is no huge hawaiian, so you need to design to the power plant. That means do it in the most energy efficient possible vessel!

Besides now that Sean H. is going to find Solomon a megabucks sponsor, cost is not an issue!! :D

Maybe Graham Hawkes would be willing to help with the engineering. At only 20 or 30 feet below the surface the water won't be that much different in temperature. In an enclosed vessel, whether surface or submersible, heat buildup may be a bigger issue than cold. Although both need to be planned for, so some insulation would probably be advisable in any case.

9. Sean Herron

Human - no gills...

Hello...

This man is a human - surface technology is simple - and it provides something any peddlar (no pun) needs - an OXYGEN and NITROGEN mix in a mix that is mixed just right by whatever (G)od you hold to - too...:)

STAY IN THE AIR AND THE RADAR - few ships have ASDIC - why would they...

Cheers...

My wife just posted 10 bucks - I think it's to get me offline...:)

SH.

10. Sean Herron

No offense

Thing is - any endeavor on this level has to ride the support wagon - this is NOT a Richard Branson prank - but he is a man who would love to read this whole thread - and he is a man who would fund and film the lot as a simple 'project'...

To propel something like this against your own prejudice - you have to swallow the pickle that you have to pull out of your own *** (yuck) - and realize what it takes to make something larger than yourself with your wife and your kids and a second mortgage - FLY - and in many cases - I MEAN fly...

Don't hate the rich - many of them have vision - that is why they are - ah - RICH - rhymes with risk...

Anyone with means has fought for it - at least the ones who want to do something with it - I hope that makes sense...

It is important...

Cheers...

Pissing on all hydrants...:)

Go download - 'RISE' - or 'May the Road Rise With you' - by PIL or Public Image League - and play it over and over and over and over on your shops PA system...

Soloman - I dedicate RISE to this project by P.I.L. - Public Image League - John Lyden - ex Pistols singer - I can go no further...

This man needs money - launch music - BBQ orders - and sponsored equipment - NOT opinion from my or your armchair - yup...

LIFE IS HARD GET A HELMET...

BURP

SUPER CHEERS...

SH.

11. mackid068

Well, pperhaps we should stay above the water. It just is less complicated and, probably easier to design to. However, there is a significant efficiency benefit to being underwater. What's the closest we can get to doing both...?

12. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

What ever happened to the laws of air drag versus water drag and the amount of horsepower to move the same sized object thru both. I AM GETTING FRUSTRATED!!!!!! "Calm done Mr. Cyclops". Was that Henry Kissing I just heard.

13. YankeeBoater

YankeeBoater Junior Member

Submerged craft have lower resistance???

I am not a marine architect - am a chemist by training. I would have guessed that it's easier to move a surface craft than a submerged one. My basic reasoning would be - a surface craft is moved partly through air, and partly through water. The portion in air is moving through a fluid of much lower viscosity and density than the portion in water. Submerging the vessel simply requires all of it to move through the much more viscous, dense fluid, which I would expect should *increase* resistance. Can someone please explain why that is not correct?

14. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

Turbulence and wavemaking at the 3 way interface of water air and boat is what makes it less efficient.

15. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy I'm not crazy...

Hpv

First things first...Sean Heron's words have iron...
    Secondly, not only will the designer be the operator, he'll be the builder as well (sometimes I think people read the last 3 or 4 posts and skip the rest). I am paying someone to do that which I can't, namely model the boat...
    And third, I take offense at the notion that to think I can pull this off is "unrealistic". Especially if you don't even know me, let's just say I'm a meat eater.
    Brian Young has graciously offered, besides great advice and information, to meet with me again in the coming weeks to help me move forward with this. Brian works with a designer who was my exgirlfriend's favorite instructor at the NWSWB. (This town is so small even the llamas have club feet.)

Ok, having dispensed with that...
    While I'm waiting for the updated hull model files, I'm working on getting a prototype driveline going. It will only be a working mock-up, but it will allow rudimentary calculations to be made, both in regards to gearing and weights/ballances. So far I have the shaft, a seat, some tubular aluminum and some old bicycle parts. The designer gets another check this week, so the gears and other parts will have to wait awhile.

There was a quote that grabed me once...so much so I wrote it down, I've forgotten who wrote it or where I read it but it goes like this:

" It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who knows great enthusiasm, greater devotion and the triumph of achievement and who, at worst, if he fails, at leats fails while doing greatly- so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.