Hull thickness

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by bodicotom, Apr 6, 2013.

1. bodicotom

bodicotom New Member

How thick should a 16' flats hull be? Has a 7' beam. Thanks!

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

With the question you ask is impossible to get a valid response. For example, it is important to know the material of the hull, but this is only one aspect to consider. If you do not specify more and better, do not expect anyone who knows anything about the subject, be able to answer.

3. bodicotom

bodicotom New Member

hull type

It is a fiberglass hull. Boat does have full liner. Old pro sports mold i think. I was going to do the sides with 1.5 oz and two 1708's just not really sure on bottom thickness/laminate schedule.
    Thanks!

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The laminate thickness depends on the design. The shape, reinforcement layout, target speed, intended use, etc. will influence the laminate thickness and type.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The laminate schedule you've suggested is less than an 1/8" thick? Typically, a laminate schedule is based on anticipated loads. The bottom has thicker and thinner sections to it, there are reinforcement and load path dispersal areas around the hull and many other considerations, etc. Making a blanket recommendation is not possible with the very limited information you've provided. What design are you building and why do you feel the need to deviate from the suggested laminate schedule provided for in the design's scantlings?

6. bodicotom

bodicotom New Member

Whats design scantlings?

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The scantlings are the dimensions of plating, reinforcements, etc. They are determined during the design process.

8. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

As has been pointed out, hull thickness, size and location of reinforcements, deck thickness etc. (=scantlings)depend on more factors than length and width. There are cook-book approaches to establishing them. The book "Elements of boat strength" by David Gerr contains tables and easy methods for calculating the scantlings for monohulls. There are also various standards, e.g. used by classification societies, for small boats that will provide the scantlings.

The standards and David Gerr's book err on the safe side and will result in a heavier boat than you would get if you do all the engineering from the bottom and up, with the applicable load cases and characteristics of the exact materials you use. In my opinion, the cook-book approach is the only realistic way for us amateurs to define the scantlings.

Erik

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Thats a bit of a silly question !!
    can be what ever you want it to be !!
    like asking how long is a ball of string !! :eek:

DRILL A HOLE WITH A HOLE SAW AND TAKE A PLUG SAMPLE AND IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE GLASS LAYERS ARE BURN THE RESIN OUT OF IT AND USE TWEEZERS AND LIFT EACH LAYER OFF AND IF YOU WEIGH THE PLUG BEFORE AND AFTER ITS BURNED YOU WILL HAVE THE RESIN AND GELCOAT CONTENT OF THE GLASS !! :confused:

10. jonr

jonr Senior Member

The answer is 42. Nobody knows what the units are yet.

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yeah, but 42 really just covers everything.

12. kach22i

kach22i Architect

You must have been looking at the first physics test I took in college. I liked that class so much, I had to take it twice.:D

13. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

ummm should be less than 1inch ???:confused:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.