Hull Designer wanted

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by mrbaseballny, Jun 29, 2005.

1. mrbaseballny

mrbaseballny Junior Member

Hello,

I am looking to have a bass boat hull designed that I can either have milled or I can cut the profiles my self and create a plug that I can sand down to make a mould for the bass boat. I would like to do this as a personal project that might(slim chance:() turn into a commercial venture. I can have the hull transferred into CAd by a friend, so I just need a hull design that will work, something similar to the ranger bass boats, etc.

Please PM me if interested.

Thanks

2. mrbaseballny

Bump.....Still looking, Anyone??

3. Daniel Charles

Daniel Charles Junior Member

Hello,
    I designed last year for a alloy boatyard in France what could be considered as a bass boat. She is fully developable, structure-less apart for the cockpit floor and reinforcments in way of the two steps. Plate thickness was 3mm and 5mm. Here are two computer pix. Eventually the project was not built due to a surfeit of orders at the boatyard.
    I've quite some experience in light self-supporting developpable hulls in alloy.

Attached Files:

4. JEM

JEM Senior Member

I did a job like that for www.serenewatercraft.com . I didn't really design. Just translated his vision into something he could build.

This time of year is kinda slow for boat message boards. That might be why you haven't heard from any designers.

5. mrbaseballny

here's a photo of what type of bass boat I"m looking for as far as design

Attached Files:

6. Daniel Charles

Making a mould is a lenghty, and not unexpensive process. The cheapest way is to make a throwaway plug in plastic plates and make a mould. However, this prevents compound curvatures. On the other hand I can supply you with the exact development of the plates. Other wise, one can do a plug a bit like they shape surfboards. What length and power have you in mind?

7. mrbaseballny

I've built plugs before for other boats so I'm not at all worried. The length I'm looking for is between 17-18 feet and between 60-115 hp.

8. Daniel Charles

So, let me summarize it:
    -17/18 feet
    -60/115 hp outboard
    -fiberglass construction
    -compound curvature allowed
    Do you need a simple plug, or are complex shapes (as the model you showed) are allowed?
    Are you looking for enhanced payload ability or is normal payload sufficient?
    Could you class these priorities:
    high speed/ seaworthiness/ low speed manoeuverability/ stability at rest or low speed?
    Do you expect to pay for the plan and if yes, how much?

9. mrbaseballny

Complex curves will be OK, normal payload ability is fine( normal 3-4 fisherman)
    1.)Seaworthiness( won't be on the sea:) mostly 17 mile lakes and smaller)
    2.)Stability at rest or low speed
    3.) Low speed manueverability( <50mph)
    4.) High Speed

I have received quite a few replies to have this done at "friends cost" but I would have to wait until winter. I would not mind paying for this, but don't expect to get rich off this job:) I really hae no Idea what a Fair price would be for this type of work, I'm a Mechanincal engineer, not a Naval architect:)

10. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

I did this one a few of years ago, and I iam just starting a 17 base on the 21, If your interested send me an e-mail, or pm.

dmfrolich@comcast.net

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.