Huevo_12_Foot_Passage_Maker

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kvsgkvng, Feb 26, 2012.

?

WHat do you think about this boat?

1. Will this boat float?

80.0%
  2. Will this boat be a fine fishing boat on a lake?

20.0%
  3. Will this boat accommodate a husband and wife?

20.0%
  4. Will this boat be able to sail in protected and coastal waters?

60.0%
  5. Will this boat make trans-Atlantic journey?

20.0%
  6. Will this boat travel around the world?

20.0%
  7. Will this boat have enough capacity for all provisions?

40.0%
  8. Do you like this boat?

60.0%
  9. Would you add any constructive comments?

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

West is not making this up BTW.
    We just lost three a month ago who went out on the bay in a boat poorly suited for the conditions..

I will leave the design comments to someone with more experience.

From my own start in sailing- I was looking to buy some 10' dingy for cruising.
    I was still in school and broke so I figured I would run the boat up on shore and tent camp. It doesn't help really that one can do this in sheltered waters and have a great time. I remember looking all sorts of dinghies and a x-Olympic class Tempest prior owner by Ted Turner no less. I had it all planed out- I had designed a lifting rig to pull up the keel for beaching and tent over cockpit- the whole bit.

Luck was with me- as it turned out my drinking buddy went out for a test sail with me & turned down another when we got back to the dock. If he had been game I would have bought the boat.
    He was a smart guy. On a prior journey we had gotten knocked down in the open bay during a heavy thunderstorm. I got the boat back up (a laser I think) & set off planing down wind as fast as I think I have ever gone under sail- the whole boat was filled with water and our beer bottles floating about & his white knuckles gripping the rail.. wow was it blowing.

So what happened- a Cal 27 showed up for the same money as a dingy. It was all over- we sailed that boat far and wide. No engine but plenty of sails as she was an x-racer.
    We had a GREAT time.

I can't recommend it strongly enough- a good sailing 22 to 30 footer to start.
    Sailing is a blast on anything. If you want to cruise, get enough boat to make good way under tough conditions and have modest accommodations.

2. Outlaw45

Outlaw45 Senior Member

10 yrs of small craft sailing in protected waters. hmmm. now the boat is 14'. well he is learning something. now go to another 4' and maybe just maybe ya might have something. then in the meantime go on a sailboat in the ocean and learn something more. I hope your wife knows how to sail. this is insane when someone knows nothing at all. good luck dude.

Outlaw.

p.s. now back to better things.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

An intelligent analysis is that the center of effort will change a lot in different points. Whether you can believe it or not, it is a bad design. You are re-inventing the wheel and trying to make people agree that square is better than round because you invented it. Build the boat and try it. There is no better constructive criticism than the one the sea gives you.
    Also, the survey has questions but no answers, it is silly

4. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

The end is not in sight....

Hello everybody!

I am so glad that I was able to explain that I just want simple and short advice. Finally, I think there is an understanding coming to me.

Somehow, a simple 7-foot dinghy magically keeps on emerging into suicidal expedition boat which some people lovingly called a coffin. I do not know why I keep on doing it. But it feels like fun.

Well, anyway, I just completed a logical development stage of this onoxial and suicidal boat, at least I think it is a logical point to stop. Some items are left out until later time to complete; it is not forgotten or misunderstood!

Again, I am asking if someone would point features of this boat, which would turn not so pleasant in rough waters. I would be most thankful.

Regards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Going to be a pressure cooker in your cabin.. your nest will begin to smell.

When you stand aft on lookout and to gulp some fresh air your 7 foot egg will be doing a wheelstand....perhaps go double egg configuration , then helm and stand watch amidships in the valley between the two eggs

6. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

Thanks for the comment! What I show is incomplete. I wanted to show only the boat prepared for stormy sonditions, when waves roll over and possible the boat may capsize. In this case the skirt and the storm canvas would slow down water to come in the cockpit and allow the boat to right itself. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know, I never capsized. I nkow for sure though that the canvas would keep water out during mild chop and allow collection of rain water during calmer waves.

During the good weather the storm canvas come out and all doors and hatches are open. One more thing, this is not an arctic expedition vessel, I still plan to use it as a pleasure craft for coastal waters in warm climate. I have no desire to circumnavigate Iceland or Greenland. Well, thanks for the comments, I have now a task to insert more visible hatches and windows and show it in a way that it would be easy to view.

Without your help I would not be able to continue and this very help allows me not only to digest naval architecture basics, but also allows me to listen to the opinion of seasoned seamen. Which book on naval architecture would suggest that as shown the boat will reek as the old sneaker if kept closed at all times?

Please keep those comments coming! I need your expertise, even if it is not very pleasant to me sometimes.

Thanks again!

7. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Is this close enough? CLICKY

8. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

Mildew removal

Thank you, it was very informative and useful article. I clipped it and will keep as a permanent reference.

9. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

Because suggestions made by more experienced people, this boat is no longer 7-foot long. As I said it magically grew to 14-foot huevo. I do understand that this boat would be thrown around alot during stormy conditions.

However, as English is not my native toungue, I did not get the passage about "standing in the valley amidst two two eggs." Would you please be so kind as to explain what exactly did you mean?

Thank you!

10. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

kvsgkvng, can you explain your fixation on such a short, round hull? Is it that you want to trailer this boat? Is your workshop very small? Do you enjoy clausterphobic conditions? Are you a proud owner of a Volkswagon Beetle?

There has to be a reason for the fixation on a smaller boat.

Help us out here.

11. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

You are absolutely right!

OK, you all have been nice to me, including PAR, which is why I drop my personal guard today and allow myself a little frivolous mini-essay, kinda like being vulnerable. You, see!!! It is “mini” essay, again(!), not “maxi” volume of universal philosophical knowledge! By the way, I have no time and rights to publish volumes of universal philosophical knowledge or any other kind knowledge in general.

You will have a rare opportunity to have a glimpse in my limited depth of mathematics and philosophy. Besides solving a riddle, which I suspect you already started to be present here by reading this, the answers for questions above will give you the answer to your final question which is below. I hope you have enough time, killing of which you are doing now.

There is an absolute limit of being in general on the scale of life. One end of this scale is pointing toward absolute minimalism. That end if you want to know, I call the absolute necessity.

The opposite end of this scale is an infinite expansion which has no limits; in the movies I call it “the dark side.” That is my definition of that particular end of the scale because somehow I do see me going in that direction. You see, I am broke… Now, aren’t you tired already? If not, here goes a fine example of philosophy, mathematics and patience in general, a riddle if you want… Don't we want something different always?

Imagine that a pile of sand is dumped in front of you on a flat, clean and even surface. This flat goes a long way in each and every direction. Like in science fiction movies… The pile of sand is clean, dry and all grains are just about the same size, but different color ;-). Let’s say this is sand of Sahara, it is all small, even and round. This pile is, maybe, three to four feet high.

Considering that there is no obstruction around and absolutely flat and even level (like in science fiction movies), the angle of the internal friction of an average sand stratum is in the vicinity of 30 degrees. Now, with simple math we can find out the number of grains in this particular pile (please bear with me – it is not B.S., however you have the right to quit now).

Here, the width would be about, eh… 3’/tan30*=5.2’ to approximately 4’/tan30*=6.93’ So here we have it, the sand pile is about five to seven feet in diameter and about three to four feet high. If we take the average size of a sand grain, well forget it… It would be awfully a lot of grains! Forget about grain colors – or it would become unsolvable. So, here goes the philosophy…

If we take one grain of sand from that pile, it would be just a pile of sand. Then we take another grain and the pile is still the same. We take one grain at the time, time after time, and eventually we will end up only with one grain of sand. Everything seems to be fine so far. Now, how would anyone be able to tell, in general, when is the absolute minimal limit of sand grains required for this formation, which we call “a pile of sand?”

I hope it was entertaining enough to call me names... and I am not discouraged! Maybe I alreadt have given away all answers to those question.

Cheers!

12. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Now that was quite the response, which basically boils down to $$$ for a boat project. If you haven't already read the thread started by stonedpirate, he too is looking to venture out in a boat the size of a shoe box.

Ref: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/rethinking-smallest-boat-circumnavigation-41853.html

If you haven't gathered by now these smaller boats are a hand full in rough seas. This may spell fun if you are only out for a while, but if considering a voyage I would say they are out of the question.

Rather than hassle with building a small boat that just may spell your doom, I would suggest taking an easier route. For example, there are many sailors around the globe looking for crew. No need to build any sort of boat. In some cases they'll pay your way! The web site below is a great starting point.

http://crewseekers.net/

Here's a quick search for some blue water ocean sail crossings:

https://www.crewseekers.net/sailingopp.aspx?scat=1&pro=9&loc=2&typ=1&feq=4&sloc=15

There's a free slot heading from RI to Europe. The other trips require a shared contribution.

Skippers around the globe are looking for chaps to help man the crew. Some require some form of payment, while others will pay your way. It all depends on their needs and yours. If you're looking to snort some sea salt and watch the phosphorescent glow on the stern of the boat under a moon lit night...this is probably the quickest way to make it happen. Of course, you'll need to work out transportation to/from the ports of call.

Just a thought.

13. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

Post Scriptum:

Not a good etiquette, but here is the chaser:
    This is it! Eventually with enough of persuasion I might grow the huevo to 20’-6” (!) Approximate picture is attached for your viewing. Scaling is very easy thing to do.

My apologies for taking so much time and space.

Attached Files:

14. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Designing a practical boat, not so much.

15. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

Thanks again!

Thank you, I will definitely seriously consider this as an option. I appreciate your help. Actually, this may work out fine when I retire. Regards.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.