HP40F-cheap compromise or ingenious solution

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Sailcy, May 21, 2016.

1. lucdekeyser

lucdekeyser Senior Member

trailerable not trailer sailer

The graphic is somewhat confusing as it shows the different parts that fold but not necessarily together. This is a folding and trailerable proa but not a trailer sailer.
    from the web site "For road trailering, or containerisation, the beams are easily removed (2 pins) and the long hull sits under the cockpit on the short hull. Not a solution for weekend trailering, but for once a year trips to somewhere warm, not too big a deal. To make trailering easier, the ends of the long hull fold up. A simple hinge across the deck and an in hull block and tackle to hold the nose in place while sailing."

2. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

I think the bows shouldn't be a big problem, but the beam/lee hull/mast connection in that last pic looks edit unnecessary small in geometry/leverage to me, maybe I'm missing a detail there.

3. Sailcy

Sailcy Junior Member

I believe that boat building greatly depends on materials. When development of new characteristics and their cost reached a certain level, we will see many new ideas spread around. As basics of marketing says- people don't need cars or computers, they need reliable and cost effective transportation method and calculation/information tools. The same is true for boats. Traditions and approaches changing only the hydrostatic and aerodynamics stat constant

4. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Oh, I think maybe I see what I missed in the leeward mast/hull/beam pivot: The beam and its cavity in the hull extends all the way to the leeward skin? I'm just confounded by the geometry, looks like so small leverage to hold the beam in the hull. The ww side is quite opposite, supported by the underside of the cabin, but that is not the side with the big loads.
    Am I right, or does the lw joint just have heavy reinforcement and is in fact no deeper than how it looks in the pic?

5. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

Heavy reinforcement. The mast is the pin, the rest of the hinge is made the same way as the folding hinge. It is pretty easy to build with infusion and carbon tow.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.