apprenticeship offered on 48ft custom catamaran build in Florida

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by tevake118, Aug 31, 2020.

1. tevake118

tevake118 Junior Member

I have been a multihull builder since 1976 . I want to transfer my skill set concerning construction and restoration of composite multihulls in my boatyard/shop to someone who can afford to stay dedicated acquiring these skills for a period of one year. The work will include, all of the following, while continuing the build of my 48 ft custom catamaran:
    1) designing a live-aboard catamaran for very little money, and around 6k hrs of sweat equity;
    2)fiberglassing, epoxy ($300/10 gal), polyurethane adhesives/caulk/foam -both expanding & sheet;
    3)marine woodworking and fastening techniques (how to avoid expensive marine plywood);
    4)sanding, grinding, drilling composites, wood, metal, by hand and machine;
    5) diesel and o/b propulsion for catamaran bridgedeck location;
    6)mast and sail acquisition, incl. standing/ running rigging, incl electrical winches, for ca. $3k total;
    7)5 anchor types/ windlasses/ chain rodes design/ acquisition, and install for ca. & $2-3k;
    8) electrical systems and 12 v wiring for this catamaran, and much more.
    You should be willing to learn to use the relevant tools, live aboard and take a berth, work 40 hrs/wk, and be comfortable with a stipend of $200 per week. Send applications to: tevake118@gmail.com

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is your apprentice suppose to buy all those materials for the posted price?

3. tevake118

tevake118 Junior Member

Hi Gonzo; I have been reading your posts for years - you are someone I respect!
    No, those prices are what I have been able to pay for the stated items for my project build during the last 3 yrs; my point is that I want to teach someone what is possible outside of the regular market. I am honest to a fault and a man of my word.
    ALSO: my description above was incomplete; I ran out of space, so here is the rest:
    9)kick-up rudders/cassettes, centerboard(s)/trunks re to fluid dynamics, structural integrity, & material choice;
    10) techniques to stop leaks and reinforce hulls; 11) welding and machining stainless steel alloys; 12) introduction to the relevant print and digital literature; 12) conducting sea trials and learning to think like an engineer.
    What I want to do is provide my 45 yrs of experience, my shop, my catamaran project (launched in 2018), my tools and materials to someone who wants to work for a dream,has no money, but has youth, health, curiosity, time and few obligations. I love to teach, you see.
    In addition to the stipend mentioned above, we will provide 3 meals/ day and transportation.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That is how I learned the trades, working for a beer and a sandwich. I hope you get someone, it is a shame to see years of experience disappear.

5. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

That does sound like a very generous offer indeed - if I was 18 again, and living in the USA I would jump at the chance to do an apprenticeship like this.

6. tevake118

tevake118 Junior Member

7. tevake118

tevake118 Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.