How will Climate Change change our boating world, and what can be done?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Grant Nelson, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Antarctic shelf 'hangs by thread'
    By Helen Briggs
    Science reporter, BBC News

Wilkins Ice Shelf from Twin Otter (Image: British Antarctic Survey)
    The Antarctic Peninsula is one of the fastest warming places on Earth

Flyover of the breaking ice shelf

A chunk of ice the size of the Isle of Man has started to break away from Antarctica in what scientists say is further evidence of a warming climate.

full article and images here :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7313264.stm

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

iceburgs have allways been,,and will continue to be,,the sky is not falling ,longliner

3. masalai

masalai masalai

You know that, I know that, but then I have my "professional reputation on this net" to think of... It does suggest significant warming in the currents passing the Wilkins Shelf...

Both sides of the "climate change" lobby are going to get their "points of proof" as warmer water produces more vapour = more clouds, and in the northern hemisphere where there is more land-mass to cool the air above = more snow/sleet/ice and cold weather because the large layer of cloud allows greater cooling over the land... A beautiful circular argument, with both sides claiming the proof for their postulation...

The size of that iceberg is HUGE... Brings to mind the story of "right of way between a lighthouse and aircraft-carrier"...

How is the power-line business? Hope it is not too cold/wet/hot and hectic for you - Best wishes longie...

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Hey just had a thought 'liner, when the floods come you'll find it easier reching those power cables by reaching up from your boat, instead of climbing that bloody long ladder! See there is a good point to this global war.....er.....climate change!

5. longliner45

well who needs freinds,,,with brothers like you guys,,yes ,,it is cold wet and hectic,,,,,yes the brothers at work pick on me all the time about my boat ,they just dont know ,,imagine,,never seeing a boat no more than 17 ft,,,,,longliner

6. longliner45

well,,,,,,,,,?

7. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Poor sad people ain't they, cos if that water comes (and I did say IF) they'll need more than some 17 foot boat that's for sure - unless they don't own much, and can sleep standing up!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.