How to setup 12 ft tunnel hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bill Kubiak, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Bill Kubiak

Bill Kubiak Junior Member

I have a scat cat type of 12 ft 2 seat tunnel hull and a 15 hp mercury long shaft 4 stroke motor
    when I try to run it fast it just plows and tries to drop on a plane but as it does the motor seems to cavitate and shake and I feels like it is about to damage the transom.
    Is a tunnel set up differently then a regulat boat hull? what must I do? :(

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Most outboards with tunnels will shake and ventilate some. as far as the plowing, sounds like you have too much weight foreward. a 12 footer is pretty sensitive to weight distribution. Is your battery under the console? Try moving it aft, as well as the fuel tank. Finally, a poorly designed tunnel will cause a suction, but this usually pulls the stern down.

3. Chickadee

Chickadee Junior Member

4. Bill Kubiak

Bill Kubiak Junior Member

The motor angle is set like the one pictured at the bottom but the boat plows along like the one in the middle. Am I running with too little hp (15)?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.