How to sail online - basics

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ryanonthebeach, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ryanonthebeach

ryanonthebeach Junior Member

Hey all

I’ve started a small basic online sailing course for very basic
    sailing edu. Prob way below your sailing level. To help those that are interested in learning to sail. Just looking for some feedback.
    Please note, this is early days, still building... busy with the
    quiz application so that people can test their knowledge online

How to sail

So it's a basic start to how to sail, with a free sailing course...

Here are some of the lessons:
    Parts of a sailboat
    Parts of a sailboats rig/rigging
    Parts of a sail Types of sails
    Man overboard procedure

Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions!

Thanks
    Ryanonthebeach

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

You have good graphics and clear, concise definitions here.

But I think you have a bit of information overload for a beginner.

I would start out with 'mast', 'boom', 'tiller'/'helm', 'sheet', 'halyard', 'rudder', and, 'board'/'keel'. Leave everything else in lubberese for now. Use words such as; "right', 'left', 'forward' and 'backward'.

Knowing what the named parts all do should be next.

Sequence of raising sail should follow that. The concept that, if there is more than one sail, the one furthest to the rear should be raised first and set last.

Ideally, a boat with just one sail should be used as an example. This way the general principle of the thing can be well understood, before complex jargon and the complexity of additional sails is added.

Finally, the four basic points of sail should be described and illustrated with the boat shown approaching a target as seen from a top view, so the new sailor can see where the boom position is likely to be, and from the sailor's view point on the boat. This way, for example, she/he becomes aware of the fact that when sailing upwind toward the target, the boat is never really pointed at it, Instead, it seems to sail past it on the left, then on the right, with the target getting ever closer with each pass.

The concept that the sail should be let out until it flaps, then brought in until it doesn't (except when sailing down wind) should be mentioned time and time again. (over sheeting is the most common beginner mistake.)

This is just for starters. You can start adding the nautical terms in later lessons.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. ryanonthebeach

ryanonthebeach Junior Member

Great feedback, thanks Sharpii

Yeah I put a bit of thought into how much complexity to add at what points.... unfortunately the temptation is to add more and more detail since the animations take soooo very much work, keep wanting to cram more information into them.

I like the sequence you mention and will be adding a points of sail animation tomorrow, it's almost ready to go.

Looks like I'll need to do revision on how much information is presented in each step. There are a few steps still to come, that will be added in between these current lessons.

Thanks again
    Ryan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.