How to make my heavy dinghy Wave rider foil propulsion ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mustafaumu sarac, Oct 15, 2020.

1. mustafaumu sarac

mustafaumu sarac Senior Member

wg.png Wave-Glider-1.jpg wave-rider.jpg wave glider 2.jpg 3.jpg

I have small very heavy dinghy and I want to build an wave glider oscillating foil propulsion wing system for it.

Do I need bigger system ? Any power calculation or dimensional decision ?

I want to use it with hanging to a cable and cross med in summer.

Any idea ?

ps. I found too many patents belongs to the liquid robotics. One of them is at the next post.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  2. mustafaumu sarac

img-CopperSV3-dimensions.png

WaveGlider-Fins-Foils-Ocean-Motive-Power.jpg

Wave Glider robot https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/wave-glider-robot.55618/

Wave Glider Specifications
    • Water Speed: Typical 1.3kts
    • Endurance: Up to 1 year (varies based on operating conditions and location)
    • Operating Water Depth: > 15m
    • Station Keeping: 30m radius
    • Payload Capacity: 7 modular bays (93L)
    • Tow Capability: 500kg (drag dependent)
    • Average Continuous Power: 5W – 20W
    • Max Solar Collection: 192W (nominal)
    • Battery Capacity: 0.9kWh – 6.8kWh rechargeable
    • Communications: Satellite, Cell, Wi-Fi
    Wave energy is greatest at the water’s surface, decreasing rapidly with increasing depth. The Wave Glider’s unique two-part architecture exploits this difference in energy to provide forward propulsion.

VEHICLE CONFIGURATION Float and sub joined by 8m (26ft) umbilical tether FLOAT DIMENSIONS (L x W x H, with recovery buoy attached): 305cm x 81cm x 23cm 120in x 32in x 9in UMBILICAL 8m standard SUB DIMENSIONS (L x W x H) 220cm x 145cm x 33cm 87in x 57in x 12in WEIGHT1 (Dry, without payloads) Float: 71kg (157lbs) Sub & umbilical: 84kg (185lbs) Total: 155kg (342lbs) MAX. MISSION DURATION Up to 1 year2 WATER SPEED Typical: 1.3kts MINIMUM WATER DEPTH >15m with 8m standard umbilical OBSERVABILITY Low noise propulsion system Minimal visual/radar signature Optional flag and marker light Optional placards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  3. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

Wouldn't that be about like hanging off the back with a pair of swim fins on and kicking? Or have I grossly misunderstood something here?

4. mustafaumu sarac

I think its a very good example but I think kicking with swim fins done at the 8 meters deep where there is no fight and may be force arm is long enough.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.