How to find a suitable jet for my boat?

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by samcool111, Feb 9, 2012.

1. samcool111

samcool111 Dr.

I am now designing my new boat now. The boat maybe 5-6 meter length.
    I prefer to use a jet propeller. It is predicted that the boat may need at least 15hp effective power to reach my design speed. The speed range is about 20-30km/h and higher.
    I am quit confused on how to find a suitable jet for this boat.
    Is there any manufacturers and companies for this product?
    Or somebody me give me some help?
    I had prepared over $20000 for a suitable jet. Is that possilbe to buy one?

:rolleyes:

2. samcool111

samcool111 Dr.

:DAnd...

I also want to find a suitable electrical ducted thruster for my diving tool. 5-20kg thrust and work in lake fresh water. Is there any suggested manufacturers?
    Wish somebody may help or just give some hint?

3. speedboats

speedboats Senior Member

At $20k I can hand build one for you.

However you'd be far better off using motor and pump out of a smaller jet-ski, and as a bonus everything is there. Some of the older 2 cylinder 'skis had about 60hp, so should achieve your design speed. Otherwise you'll need to elaborate the spec's of your vessel... beam, deadrise, weight, planning / semi / displacement etc...

4. samcool111

samcool111 Dr.

Thank you for your help. Speedboat.
    In fact, I'd prefer some new integral and standard equipment for this boat. The boat will use for quit a long time as I wish. So it will be easier to find replacement. Those old may not work well and hard to find replacement.
    I've build a boat with a Yamaha 115hp sterndrive. I think this time maybe a new try if possible. You suggest to use a pump? That also will be OK. You get some possilbe pump suggested? Please help me...
    I've saw a small boat with a pump on a nearby port. It seems good too. But it's hard to find a pump. The boat owner told me that the small yard which build the boat only sell the whole boat but not a pump.

My new boat is still on the design. It seems that it will be a semi-planing boat. But with a powerful engin it may also work as a planning boat. The total weight of the boat will be less than a tonne with equipment and passengers as I expect.

The boat will be about 6.0 meter long with 1.2 meter beam. The deadrise is about 20 degree. After all, it is still on the paper. It will be changed if I got some possilbe pump or jet. The problem is the expense... Larger boat, more expensive...

5. masalai

masalai masalai

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=j...e=univ&ei=lcQ0T83ZK6SdiAfM6ZTvAQ&ved=0CGAQsAQ Google is a helpful search engine tool and the question I put was <jet ski pumps>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_water_craft

http://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Jet_Ski.html (even made in China)
    http://hisonmarine.en.made-in-china...a-225HP-Jet-Ski-Turbo-Charged-HS-006J5B-.html "2012 Turbo Charged Ultra 225HP Jet Ski, with 1500CC 4 stroke DOHC VVT Engine, top Speed more than 110km/h. CE certificate approved, suitable for Europe market. Close-loop cooling system / Engine self-protection / Magnetic Switch. "

6. samcool111

samcool111 Dr.

It seems that a 1400cc engin with a pump is OK. But as I said, they sell the whole boat, not a pump.
    It's not available... Thank you... by the way..

7. masalai

masalai masalai

samcool, being in China, I am sure you could find out where they source the entire engine/jet unit and enquire direct to the engine supplier...

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

9. samcool111

samcool111 Dr.

Thank for rasorinc. 2si may be a good choice... I'am trying to get contact and ask about some information...

10. samcool111

samcool111 Dr.

And to masalai...
    I met another shipowner yesterday. He had built a super fast boat using jet pump. He just bought a jet ski form one of the company and.. guess what? He dismounted the ski and get the engin and pump to fit it on his super boat... And he also sold the else remains...
    That gay is a super guy too...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  11. mohawk

mohawk Junior Member

12. johneck

johneck Senior Member

13. samcool111

samcool111 Dr.

Thanks. I am still working on it... I just need to try a different way.. But it's really hard to get a pump. I'd asked some factories recently, they only sold entire boat, engin and pump are not sold alone...

14. liki

liki Senior Member

Alamarin and Castoldi makes suitable units, but they are not cheap ... Wonder what the 2SI unit costs in total?

15. samcool111

samcool111 Dr.

The boat now is still on the design. I think some $30k is the most. Maybe 20k for the engins and propellers and 10k for the hull..
    I can finish the fitting-out job by my self.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.