How to determine whether a vessel is still in class

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by Adeyele, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Adeyele

Adeyele Junior Member

Dear all, am a cargo surveying student, and i was trying to refresh my memory by going through a past question prior to an exam. I came across this question:

Assuming a coaster vessel named 'Locator' is registered under Lloyds Register of Shipping. Explain how, and from where, confirmation can be obtained to determine whether the vessel is indeed still in class and the contents of the Stability information booklet are valid.

Details of the vessel are as follows:

Type Single crew dry cargo coaster
    Length overall 31.85m
    Load line 30.00m
    Breadth Moulded 6.71m
    Moulded depth amid 2.87m
    Full load draught 2.53m
    Displ to full load draught 423.5 tons
    Max deadweight 294.5 tons

Please any help or idea on how to check whether the vessel is still in class.

Regards
    Mike.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If it is registered under Lloyds, you can contact them for verification.

3. Adeyele

Adeyele Junior Member

She's registered in UK under Lloyds, but d questn is asking for another way to verify if the vessel is still in class apart from contacting the Lloyds Register.

The question is asking to explain how, and from where, confirmation can be obtained to determine whether the vessel is still in class and the content of the Stability information booklet are valid.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That is what Lloyds does. If you don't want to use their service, do you have to survey the ship then?

5. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

I have forgotten the name of the program but it is a ship locator through the internet. If you know the name of the vessel, you can get the vessel's particulars, IMO number, the flag, Port of registry, the type of class and its I.D. number. Sometimes the last reported location of the vessel.

As for the Trim and Stability booklet, I am sure this cannot be located in the net as it is usually on board or a copy is with the ship owner/operator. It has the thickness of a book.

6. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Is not another implication that you are trying to check if the ship has been modified which naturally affects registration details (or should) and stability details

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You can log into LR website here:
    http://www.lrshipsinclass.lrfairpla...pt_name=/default.aspx&path_info=/default.aspx

And search their database.

From that, you should be able to see which flag she carries. Then contact the flag authority to ascertain the status of the stability book. It may also be listed i the Class particulars. As if the stability book is not current, then the Class cert may lapse too, depending upon the Flag/Class arrangement.

Since Class sometimes does the job of both, when asked.

8. Adeyele

Adeyele Junior Member

Dear all,

Many thanks for the contributions; even though some ppl do not undstand my question very well. Actually the question assume the ship is registered Lloyds Reg. in UK, so its saying apart from contacting the class society which other way can be use to verify if the vessel is still in class?

As a surveyor, if am to check the status of the vessel, I will request for the ship certificate file.

I jst want contribution from you guys?

Regards
    Mike

9. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

When someone writes an exam question every word is carefully chosen ( well it is when I write them) and in this case the important word is STILL ....how many times have you heard lecturers say " you did not answer the question" it was in class but is it STILL in class ie is it now 5 years later still in class .....got it

10. rxcomposite

When you are a surveyor, you look for hard copies or documents. That is the thing you do when you board the ship. You attest that that so and so documents has been presented. The list of documents needed depends on your type of survey,

However, when you want advance information, you go through the net to check what class the vessels is and other information you need. That is not surveying.

Ok, ok. The net info will tell you if the if the vessel is still in class, have changed class, or no longer in class. If the ship is fairly new, count 5 years from the year it was built as LR class needs to be renewed every 5 years. Sorry I do not know the name of the software. From where I have worked, it is the ship management division that have this. I worked in the survey department so I am accustomed to looking for hard copies.

11. Adeyele

Adeyele Junior Member

Many thanks for that.

12. rxcomposite

Question to Ad Hoc.

How do I determine the validity of the Trim and Stability booklet. In the vessels I have surveyed, I have noticed several things.

1. Some do not bear the name of the ship on survey. Some even have generic series numbers. I usually look for a certificate of change of name but some ships have changed names so many times that it is hard to trace from the original. One ship I have surveyed, on its maiden run, seemed to have a chinese sounding name (it was built in China) but the name of the ship is different. I usually note this in my report but nobody seems to care afterwards.
    2. Some Trim and Stability booklet I have seen are prepared by marine engineering firms, not necessarily the builder. Some do bear the mark of Class Societies however.
    3. Some booklets are so tatterred and old but is in order (meaning it bears the name of the ship). Is it still valid?

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

The principal features you need to see are (if shown):

Builders Name
    Ships name
    Date of Build
    IMO Number
    Class Number
    Port of Registry
    Reference to an inclining expt for lightship.

Some or all of these should be shown. Change of name etc, that should be recorded, usually in an annex. You can also check with Class to confirm via another source the above.

One thing to always note, is check/ask what, if any, modifications or changes have been made to the vessel and what paper work exist to demonstrate this. This should be noted in the Class data.

It is ostensibly a paper work exercise.

If you are suspicious or find it difficult to verify any or most of the above list, then you cannot use the data presented as "for that ship", since you cannot confirm that book you have, is "for that ship". And state as such.

If the Lwl given in the stab book, for example, is say 100m, and you see a drawings or confirm by other means that is it just say 80m, then you either elect to put this into your report, or, insist on a proper inclining expt....failing that walk away from the job.

14. Adeyele

Adeyele Junior Member

Tnks so much for that.

15. rxcomposite

Thanks AH. Except for the reference on the inclining experiment, I am on the right track. Only once did I walk away from the job and that is upon the advice of the contracting party. I was a third party surveyor.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.