how to determine sail area

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by stonedpirate, Feb 13, 2012.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ok have done a little research--The record to beat is one held by a boat 10ft.11in. LOD or from the photos- 13ft. ? in. LOA which includes the bow sprit and outboard motor. I would think that a 10ft. 11in. LOD/LOA would do the trick. Why cramp yourself up in a 10footer with a bow sprit when you could accomplish the task with a bigger hull and no bowsprit. Removing the bow sprit would require some adjustments in the CE of the rig but don't see where it would prevent you from going with the traditional main and jib combo. Possible you might have less sail area but this is not a time factor race.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Viking,
    There is apparently a worldwide challenge for a 10 footer circumnavigation. I don't know much about it. I'm concerned for anyone attempting it. Rather than try to discourage StonedPirate, I'm offering hopefully helpfull advice. If he concludes for himself that the voyage is too risky, then I'd congratulate him. But, it's his decision so I try to be informative.

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

10ft.-- roughly one foot less than the record breaker-- Ok that might require a bow sprit to get a reasonable amount of canvas up. Maybe so maybe not--but I still feel to obtain good sail balance some fore and aft mizzen/main/jib combo might be the best set up. If it can be achieved in a 10ft 11in boat why not a 10footer. Running with the trades a big foresail would be desireable, I think I would prefer a double grouved furling system running two jibs(one large one small) rather than a spinniker. I like this set up because if becoming overpowered simply changing course until the small jib collapses into the large one and both can be roller furled. It might require a few practise runs but works quite well one you get the hang of it. I never was a fan of the spinniker--too fussey a sail. Ok Stonepirate you caught my interest --I'm not a designer but I can turn my hand at building or sailing. So what has been decided as far as a hull is concerned--do you have any rough design on paper--I.E. one with shelter from the elements-- If you're serious about this I recommend no ***** footin around with two legged models,(boat models ok) lets see what you've got.--

P.S.--Also i'm a little confused --post #23 shows a photo of a little craft ???? Spa Bath --whats the story on it. Is this you with your boat. ??

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I agree with Viking. Double head sails wing and wing downwind.

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

MMmmmm Stoned you're over on the other thread discussing survival in an altered state world of a chair on a raft which I think is a diversion thread to buy more time from reality. A poster mentioned you've been at this since before 2009 so once again let's see what you've got. Whats the story on that photo. You've talked the talk now lets walk the walk--I.E. lets get at the meat and potatoes and see if this vessel is feasible.

6. stonedpirate

stonedpirate Senior Member

No. Spa Bath was built by Ashley Coulston. He used it to cross the tasman. Its 8'.

Shortly after he completed the shortest boat to cross the tasman record, he murdered 3 people and is currently serving life in prison.

YOu can read about him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Coulston

Anywho, my original design is on this thread.

A 10 footer with cabin and aft mast rig.

ts between that and my new kite kayak.

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Christ--thats one strange dude. Ok I can relate to and put time and what my experience can offer into this thread. A real boat with shelter and a potential to have a go at the record. But not the Kayak thing it's a 100% death trap plus it is so far out there it questions your clear thinking on this whole proposal. I am truly interested in this thread as it also relates to "another running in the background project" that i've been playing with on and off for years, that being a better dingy/lifeboat combo. Anyhow I'm gonna lurk along for awhile and if reality knocks in I'll be back but I have to be honest that whole kayak kite thing --well as i said it questions your clear thinking on this whole project.

8. stonedpirate

Cheers Viking, appreciate any ideas you may have.

Dont judge the kayak to harshly just yet.

I have a new design and have been up all night coming up with solutions to various problems.

This design impresses even me :p

It solves the accomodation problem and others.

Will post pics as soon as the model is finished.

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Looking forward to it --Geo.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Must be nice to be able to "design" an ocean going craft in a night or two. Some special kind of software package or just truly far more talented then most?

I mention this in light of the ocean crossing design I'm just finishing up. I got the commission last March and I'll be grateful and lucky to have it finished within the 1 year mark.

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Yeah, what you said. But his threads are enjoyable anyway, for the interesting and informative posts they generate. I like him, and look at his naivete and enthusiasm as almost a public service.....

If he actually translates his dreams into a boat, I have no doubt he'll come to some sort of accommodation with the realities of his venture the first time he heads across the harbor with it.

12. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Clearly a man with your design experience can see that what is being discussed here are design concepts, not finished designs.

I'm sure you had to present one to win the commission you are presently working on. Some of them are a bit wacky for my tastes, but I see them as they are.

Here, for example, is one of mine.
    The only things I've actually calculated are the Displacement, the Sail Area, the S/D, and the D/L.

The rest is pure shooting from the hip.

I think I know enough to know the concept is at least theoretically viable, but I also know I can expect surprises if I proceed, making this into an actual design.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  13. stonedpirate

As Sharpii said, they are rough concepts. On top of that, they are one man, 10 footers. Not the most complicated craft out there. When you have spent as much time as i have analysing all the 10 foot boats out there, and realise their simplicity and similarites, 2 years of pondering can whip up a concept in a couple of hours.

But i appreciate your passive aggressive insults from a man with such extensive experience and professional superiority. Must feel good to be a cyber expert talking down to the amateurs everyday.

14. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Par is a good man to have on your side Stoned and he certainly is not talking down to you.
    He speaks from experience as many do on this thread & in so doing makes a point that a credible design is a long struggle.
    His comment is no indictment of you or any other- just a observation on how all must work to bring a design from inception to service.

15. stonedpirate

He has made it clear that he is not on my side, and at this point, he is just slowing my progess.

A true professional wont give me any advice without some cold hard $$$

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.