How Safe Are These?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CatBuilder, Dec 25, 2011.

1. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

... and so we can say: they ARE safe when we look at the target customer.
    The non-target customer rather will not go for it. Remains to be seen how Corrie will approach the issue; sure will be REVOLUTIONARY :D

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

For others, we did storm covers (removable, aluminum) on some boats.

I believe major threat is not glass itself but glue. One one top brand of deck hatches (flush model) all glass popped out after 6 months sitting in marina in Phuket...

3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

After having sailed for decades, done multiple Atlantic crossings, cruised the Caribbean for more than ten years, and been caught out in 20' breaking waves, I now spend my time daysailing around Lake Pontchertrain.

The reality is that the boat I would want to cross the Atlantic on is not the same boat I want for day sailing, and so when my needs change my boat will as well. I don't expect my day sailor to be particularly well founded, and port holes and large hatches increase my pleasure for day trips where I can pick my weather, cause the guests aren't going out in 20+ kn. On this boat large windows are fine.

When heading to the north Atlantic again I don't want any windows, portholes, or hatches, since my life and the life of those with me is actually in danger from breaking water. The reality is that every design has a mission, and the proper question isn't if these portholes are acceptable for every mission, but for the intended use of the boat.

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Exactly-- the use and area of operation---

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.