How Safe Are These?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CatBuilder, Dec 25, 2011.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Good one Tad, Jon Bannenberg to "Kingdom" come . . .

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I don't know how much the 1/2" piece is but this came to mind: http://www.hammacher.com/Product/10343
    It is no longer available.

Attached Files:

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

not sure what it costs today but back a few years a 4' dome in 1/4 was about $800, The process is the same for the thicker piece and depending on if your willing to take something from a standard form or not won't have a big bearing on the final price. If your looking for a half circle I think thats considered a standard form as well. Colorado Plastics is a company I've done biz with a lot over the years, they bend and shape poly all day long down there so you might call them ( there in Boulder ) if your really after a more solid price. Bound to be someone closer to wherever you are though.

Very cool yak Hoyt.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Then, - seems you too have reservations, and, - is not a boat a series of compromises? You as captain have certain responsibilities regarding safety at sea...........

I am sure you have the wisdom and experience to make the wise determination - I was just throwing ideas and 2cents of cheekiness into the fire... With shallow draft and a forward set of retracting stairs (as on Dougies boat - see recent posts on "my little piece of peace" and have a beach BBQ - less cleaning up afterwards and what better way to eat your "catch-of-the-day"... Picture the scene, a pressure lamp hanging from a stand in the sand, a 'driftwood beach fire' for cooking and a piece of reo-mesh to form the griddle for cooking and the coffee pot, an ice box for the drinks and prepared tossed salad and a French-stick bread warmed and basted with home made garlic butter... Ooooh my mouth is salivating at the thought....

We enjoyed a short week on Santo at Turtle Bay Lodge enjoying similar feasts every evening;;;;; "pule-fish", crayfish, coconut-crab, seafood-platter, mangrove/mud-crab, bloody delightful

Hi Hoyt - I like the sea-through boat idea, but at US$1600 :eek: a but on the expensive side?

Attached Files:

5. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Ah, the galley down is a requirement because this boat is our business. It's how we earn our primary income (or spend our life's savings and many years unearned income right now!).

Anyway, the galley is down so we can do dishes in peace. There is nothing worse than doing dishes at 8PM after being up at dawn to sail all day, after cooking 3 gourmet meals, etc... and having a charter guest that won't stop talking to you while you are doing the dishes.

The galley down will be very VERY large and set up like a professional kitchen. No charter guests are allowed in the "staff only" area. This makes for a much more professional charter.

6. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Maybe the lights are behind the frosted glass panels on the tip right hand side of the pic?

7. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I whole heartedly agree with the separate galley on a skippered charter boat

That's the arrangement we had on the 70fter I used to crew on years ago. It also means the crew can disappear for a bit, even if they only pretend to be cleaning up.

My skipper used to tell guests "I have some important safety briefings to listen to which we need to know about for tomorrows sail". He'd then put on headphones and listen to music.

A charter boat is not like a hotel; the workers can never escape the guests.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

8. CatBuilder

Exactly!

You can only know this if you've ran a lot of charters - especially back to back for weeks on end! :eek:

9. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

ROFL!!! I was just looking at boats with motor issues thinking that $360 for a slip is about what I pay now for a RV space I live in. Maybe somebody would want to trade a good boat for a 5th wheel? LOL!

10. CatBuilder

Don't laugh too hard. ;) There are a LOT of people out there who are getting too old or can't afford a boat anymore and would love to trade for a 5th wheel. Also, a lot of people buy boats and the "dream" isn't quite what they imagined.

Maybe you could find someone. That's worth a shot and could get you a substantially better boat than you'd otherwise find.

11. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I think you can solve your particular problem Cat by installing a flat screen TV on the hull side above the galley and some cameras outside so momma can watch the world at play.
    Steve.

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Be prepared to replace them every 15 years or so due to uv damage.

13. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Marketing and lifestyle rubbish:
    My personal opinion- This sort of window appeared a few years ago.
    In a few years from now they will have disappeared.
    From the structural point of view: It can be engineered.
    On a cathegory 'A' boat however I would not like them less than 40 feet above the sea...

14. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

A hee, a hee!
    This is the down side of owning an article that is way out of one's personal budget.

15. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Side windows? Well, as designers we have a problem - CUSTOMERS WANT THEM!

No side windows - designer is stubborn conservationist;
    Big side windows and also 'walk around' double beds with protrusion into the tunnel on cats - what an innovative de-e-esign!

They never leave marina on those boats though...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.