How much does it cost... ??

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ViennaYachtworx, Oct 8, 2009.

1. ViennaYachtworx

ViennaYachtworx Junior Member

How much does it cost to have a hull designed??

I'm merely speaking of the hull shape to forward to a producer of the plug or mould.

Currently at question is the design of a 40ft Cruising Sailing monohull (deck saloon thus rather on the heavy side - for series production in GRP.
    As well as the design of a 38ft canting keel racer, this is to be built as a one off initially.

Can anyone give a rough estimate or maybe even recommendations?

Thanks in advance! (And as a newbie, sorry if this has been discussed before, but the search didn't produce anything usefull)

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

For a series production make sure the designer is familiar with it. Some are not good at designing something that will be fast and economical to produce. I have a lot of experience with lofting, making molds and designing parts to make them easy to assemble. If you are looking for someone for those areas I can help you. I can also assist with specifications to narrow the requirements from a designer. There are several designers I know and have worked with, that are qualified for this kind of project. The amount of detail on the plans will greatly affect the total price. For example, if you need every cabinetry detail drawn.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.