How Do I Move My Half Hulls Around??

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by CatBuilder, Jan 1, 2011.

1. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

Yes that will also work.
    If you are restricted in height just like the gantry style to rotate the hulls you still may have to take outside and have a crane to rotate and then bring back inside. So your wheels need to be able to rotate.

You also dont need to install any temporary lifting points just bolt 4x2 to some bulkheads. And yes you can put all of yours in.
    The 4x2 can be used to rest the hulls on the ground in the rotating process without any damage to the foam.
    Attached photo shows my 12m hull being lifted, only with my mainsheet and boom wang tackle. Being a cheapskate I did this on the first two halves but it requires at least another helper. After this I purchased 4 chain blocks, much easier and I could do it alone. Should have spent the money right up front.

Attached Files:

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Thanks, Andrew.

These are great pictures. It's very reassuring to see a mainsheet and boom vang lifting up a hull piece with bulkheads! It gives a lot of encouragement for me to do this.

I see how you are using the 4x2's and it looks great - simple.

I'm a little bit height restricted, but not as much inside the building as at the doors of the building. I figure I can always pick the hull up, put it down a moment, and rotate it along the bow-stern axis. If I need to rotate it the other way (exchanging bow for stern), I can roll it outside and go around in a circle with the two hoists I make.

That's pretty much all of the required rotation.

Also, thanks to your suggestion of leaving one hull half up in the hoist while rearranging the mold to do the other sides, I will have a lot more space to work with.

I think if I can figure out what scantlings to use on the hoist in my diagram, I will have no problems moving the half hulls or full hulls around.

Brilliant! Thank you.

3. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

If you have ready access to recycled timber then two 6x2 should be enough for the upright and 8x2 for the horizontal. Bolt the upright either side of the horizontals then add your bracing. I would also have the horizontals extending a bit at the back end so the bracing is on both sides.
    If you dont have recycled timber close by then over here at least the 50x200mm sleepers used for landscaping would be suitable as well.

Third option would be to make boxed sections with 4x2 and scrap plywood.

What ever you build test them out first, pile up your drums of resin and glass on a pallet and lift it.

4. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

CatBuilder; have you seen this site? http://www.goyadi.com/Home_Page.html
    Is this a sistership to yours? looks like he is on his second build?
    Get in touch, he should be the best source of information for your build.

The hulls look very much like the Bob Oram boats friends of mine built.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.