How did vessels at sea do?

Discussion in 'Post-Tsunami' started by Skippy, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

Thanks, Rudi. Is Mr. Schueli's yacht of a type that would lend itself to ship-to-shore work once off Aceh? Is there anything I might do here in New York to help him coordinate with the U.S. Navy (or anyone else)? [Note: my first cousin is captain of the Aegis cruiser USS Normandy. He might be able to tell me who to contact.]

Do you have evidence that Indonesian landing craft could be taking part in relief operations, but are not? If so, please relay as specifically as you can, and I'll bring it to the attention of reporters and/or U.N people here in New York.

2. xrudi

xrudi Rudi Scholz

A yacht for Aceh

Dear Friends,

I think a sea based rescue operation makes more sence than an airborne one.

See also Mr. Cameron (Mentawi surfing operation) attempt. He has some cats there and works with surfers.

But with the magnitude of problems, this is not enough.

Germany sold in the mid 1990 surplus Navy ships to Indonesia (value of the contract about 650 Mio German Marks) (about 25 vessels). These ships made it from Germany to Indonesia on there own keel. Among these were a high percentage of landing crafts. These crafts are normally moored in North Jakarta (Special Navy unit, Compassus) and in Surbaya. Every body could see them.

During my work in Jakarta we built 24 Jaraka Jaya ships. These are 5000 dtw freighter about 100 m long. These ships have traditional loading gear and are designed for inter island trading. These ships could move supplys easy to Aceh.

I think this conversation is getting too much in detail for general interest. Please use my private e- mail addrerss rudi@levidrives.com.

Best Regards

Rudi

3. johnbkk

johnbkk Junior Member

4. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Sail Mag had an article about this, they said that the yachts eeven in harbor were ok and boaters tended to be ok.

5. A_Appleyard

A_Appleyard Junior Member

Over deep sea well away from land the sea movement is spread through the whole depth of the sea and shows little on the surface. The trouble happens when the wave gets into shallow sea near land and the sea moverment gets concentrated near the surface. That is why the name: Japanese for "harbor wave", because often Japanese fishermen came back from an ordinary day's fishing to find their home harbor and its village wiped out.

6. elmaceh

elmaceh elmaceh

Tsunami Revisited and the Future of Boats for Aid Delivery

Rudi, I just noticed your posts and this thread some months late but wanted to pass on that moving aid on private volunteer boats was very very effective. Surf Aid had 14 surf charter boats working (8-10 pax) and we started with 2 charter boats on new years eve. Our yacht was the first boat of any kind to reach the Banyak islands in south Aceh and we then chartered an 800 ton ex HongKong ferry called 'Batavia' and spent 5 months living aboard delivering aid to Aceh and later to Nias after the big quake. We focused on isolated communities where other establishment NGOs and agencies found too hard to reach. A combination of beach landing boats and a small ship is ideal. Many places have too much swell for landing craft. We are convinced that a ship/boat based emergency presence is essential in the area and so we are continuing our work. See http://www.island-aid.org

7. Stephen Ditmore

Thanks, Elmache! Please keep us posted.

There's an article in the current Professional BoatBuilder magazine about a landing craft built for the Red Cross to use in the Maldives.
    http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/200604/
    The article begins on page 12. You can read it online by clicking "Pages." It's in the second row, second from the right.

8. elmaceh

elmaceh elmaceh

Island Aid current project

Thanks Steven, those look like dream craft for our work but they also look like they are expensive. Any idea how much? We are working on a new project http://www.electriclamb.org/AFP/ Our total budget is only $275k for the first phase and my guess is we would not buy to many of those landing craft for that amount... maybe 2? We were able to move over 30 tons per day with our 6m rotomoulded PE beach landing boats and they cost only $6.5k each with engines. Horses for courses.

The training center buildings will double as 'Tsunami Arks' and we would value any advice or suggestions from forum members.

9. Stephen Ditmore

If you're looking to aquire existing boats in your area, take a look at the file I attached to post #42 at
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6051&page=3
    and the information other people have posted to that thread.

Links to the web sites of those involved in building the Red Cross boat appear at the end of the Professional BoatBuilder article.

Here are builders of similar boats in the U.S. & Canada:
    http://www.billmunsonboats.com/
    http://www.lifetimer.bc.ca/Landing Craft.htm
    http://www.missionmarine.com/

Good Luck!
    Stephen

10. elmaceh

elmaceh elmaceh

Stephen,
    Thanks for the links. I'll check prices just in case we find ourselves in the market for one of those landing boats. I found your file ages ago and followed several links. I know Robin and Ray and have discussed Maruta Jaya as a potential platform for our on-going work. Too complicated to contemplate at this point but always in the back of my mind. I trained the original crew for the prototype Maruta Jaya back in '85 aboard the Electric Lamb and I spent a lot of time with Peter Schenzle when he was working on her in Jakarta. Small world! John Welsford of ABET has agreed to be an advisor for our Artisanal Fishboat Program and we will build some of his Timor fat canoes here. This forum has been a huge help.

11. nova scotia

nova scotia New Member

Just signed up to this forum , im a commercial fishing captain (22years)from canada , east coast .

"Ive fished most types of boats and gear . also probly know lots of good buys on boats . so if you ever need advise on fishing boats or gear just email me .

12. Saf

Saf Junior Member

That's pretty scary! :(

13. Bravo Echo

Bravo Echo New Member

F.a.r.

As the readers of this forum know huge amounts of money has been wasted on unrealistic plans and programs that are supposedly to help the surviving fishing comunity in Aceh. Groups of NoGos and Uns (the members of which are often paid quite large salaries) has made various attempts at building and training people to build boats. The results that I have seen are at best amusing and at worst dangerous.
    F.A.R.
    http://www.farnetwork.org/

Do right
    Do it right
    Do it right now
    Do it

14. A_Appleyard

A_Appleyard Junior Member

That depends on whether the landing-craft, after landing and unloading, can refloat itself quickly, or would have to wait till low tide to come ashore and then till high tide to refloat.

15. nova scotia

nova scotia New Member

send over a few 45 foot cape islanders something that can handle some weather .

hard to beat cape island boats in heavy weather we fish them here offshore in gales (district 34 lobster opens dec 1st all winter fishing).

lots of molds around here to make a bunch of them . we use them for trap fishing or longlineing ,or gillnetting . good work boats .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.