Houseboat remove pontoons to change boat to house

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ambo, Mar 11, 2019.

1. ambo

ambo New Member

I am new to the forum. Have a 17 year old professionally custom built 13m x 6m houseboat with fibreglass catamaran pontoons. The wooden superstructure is well built like a house. This superstructure sits on floors joists the similar size to a house. The boat does not have any motors and has been used at a marina all of its life. What I would like to do now is to remove & dispose of the pontoons and strengthen the structure with additional floor joists to enable me to transport it to a block of land to allow it be converted to a residence. Has anybody done anything like this and if so, I would appreciate any advice.

2. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

I have never done this, but I can tell you that a houseboat on pontoons is structurally more sound that common land based structures. Therefore your conversion transport work should not require anything out of the ordinary. 6 meters beam will of course require special flatbed trucking rigs, and over the road regulations will need to be consulted. Sewage and water connections will be the same as is found on mobile homes, there is plenty of that in the USA where I live, and I assume you have similar housing units where you are.

3. ambo

ambo New Member

Thank you very much for your reply and it's encouraging to hear your thoughts about the boat's structure. However, what we want to do is move onto our vacant block of land instead of it being housed at the expensive marina so would need to remove the pontoons.

4. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

It may be easier to remove the pontoons on land.
    No reason this wouldn't work just fine.

5. JSL

JSL Senior Member

It will be a building so may be necessary to check your local by-laws to see that all aspects are legal.

6. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

Just out of curiosity, Why wouldn't a houseboat be more valuable "as is"? Or would you get almost the same from the pontoons alone?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.