Houseboat - is it possible to produce 2br/2bath for US$ 100,000?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Furryboy, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Furryboy

Furryboy New Member

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if it is possible to produce a houseboat (low-mid level specs interior) for about US$ 100,000.

Power to be outboard motors (supplied by me later, minimum fuel tank required).

Need to supply air conditioning units (high capacity, about 1 ton/ 500 sq foot of internal space) plus internal lighting plus fridge/washing machine/ cooker. Will run on landside power 99% of the time, if not 100%.

Will need gray water tank plus black water tank.
    Interior- 2 bedrooms with en-suite toilets plus 2 showers.

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Yes, easily.

-Tom

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Simple design, simple finishes, simple systems, you can easily beat that price point.

Complex design, luxurious hardwood interior, the best of cutting-edge electronics, you could run up to ten times your specified budget.

A boat will always cost as much as you can spend. If you set a hard cap on the budget, and enforce it (that means shooting down a lot of requests for "but wouldn't it be nice if"), you should be able to pull it off...

4. Frog4

Frog4 Proletariat

5. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Very easily possible.

Barges and shipping containers would make it as low cost as can be.

6. Man Overboard

Man Overboard Tom Fugate

Attached Files:

7. Furryboy

Furryboy New Member

My difficulty would be insulation (I live in an area of high humidity and heat).
    As well as keeping it cool obviously.

Has anyone tried pumping water around in order to cool a boat, kinda like a radiator system , but using water from below the thermocline to cool down the air?

Or would that require massive amounts of water in the pipes inside the cabin, and consequently , weight?

8. Furryboy

Furryboy New Member

oh yeah, and shipping the boat out here (UAE)
    I definitely don't want top-end finishing. Durable and practical stuff is what I need.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  9. Saildude

Saildude Junior Member

You would want to run the water through coils and use a fan to force air through the coils - which is what Air Conditioning does - there have been some applications I saw in the past - some Air Conditioners sink their extra heat by dumping it into the water (heat exchanger tubes are underwater) - how well it works depends on how cold your water is - you could also use some sort of keel cooling for your A/C as the water your boat is in should be cooler than the air during the summer.

10. Frog4

Frog4 Proletariat

Your problem with the pumping water thru pipes idea is going to be the high humidity ... how are you going to solve the condensation problems associated with chilled water and high humidity on the pipes? A/C units have built in condensation pans etc which drain outside ... if you have the whole house "piped" with cold water you will have major issues, mold, rot etc ...

11. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Just provide drainage for the condensation...

-Tom

12. Furryboy

Furryboy New Member

Wow I didn't think about that...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.