Hot Rolled or Colled Roll Steel Frames

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by MidMichigan, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MidMichigan

MidMichigan New Member

I am in the planning process of building a 30' steel tug. As I am preparing to purchase steel a question formed in my mind. Should the Frames, Longitudinals, Carlins, and other interior framing be made from cold rolled steel or hot rolled steel? These are 3/16" or 1/4" bar stock. I can't seem to find that answer. Maybe it doesn't matter and I am just over thinking it!

Thanks for any help,

2. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Co;d roll is nice for machining, sharp corners, cost more, and will rust fast as soon as you clean the oil off. I think Hot roll would be a better choice.
    Tom

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

hot rolled is more stable as it dosnt have the internal stresses that cold rolling imparts and is less heat sensitive ie welding and such

4. MidMichigan

MidMichigan New Member

Thank you for your input. I was thinking hot rolled too. Seems like the radius corners would only be a plus on the longitudinals as the sheet is wrapped over it. Primer would flow into the joint easier too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.