honduran mahogony

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by phillip, May 8, 2005.

1. phillip

phillip Junior Member

Hi! I have made belaying pin racks and cleats out of honduran mahogany. I also carved out a coaming for the companion way. Now I'm wondering if I'll be able to steam this wood enough to bend it ? Will this wood take a steamed bend?

Thanks Phil

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Depends how tight the bend is.... if you steam it enough and bend it slowly enough, mahogany can bend fairly well, but only to a point.... perhaps a 2-3 foot radius for every inch of thickness is as tight as I would ever try to go with steaming, but that's just a guess....

3. phillip

phillip Junior Member

Thanks Matt: Probably not a great choice of wood; But it will look good if it'll go.

Phil

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It bends fair. Mahogany won't make a tight radius like oak. Make sure you soak the wood for two or three days before steaming and it won't split.

5. phillip

phillip Junior Member

Would it help to heat the coaming on the inside of the radius while jigging it?

Thanks Phil (soak/steam/heat/?)

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is better to heat the outside of the curve. That is the part of the wood stretching. I use a propane torch and keep it wet with a brush and water. A helper makes it easier.

7. phillip

phillip Junior Member

Thank you for the response and sharing your knowledge.

Phil

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.