History? What is this type of Insurance (tontine)

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SheetWise, Jul 14, 2010.

1. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

My partner informs me that he has heard of a type of insurance that sailors used which pooled their money, and the funds reverted to the group (or last man) surviving. Have you ever heard of it? He seems to believe that it had the name Tom in it ...

I've never heard of it. Is there a better forum to post general questions?

2. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Tontines are still found in some military units, and were popular in the world wars, but are seen as gambling with a distinct edge. The Doolittle Raiders bottle of cognac is effectively a tontine. During the Cuban Misslie crisis, my father ended up being the duty corpsman the night the marines mounted out for Gitmo. Because he wasn't going he was approached to hold the envelope ended up putting the money and list in the dispensary safe.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.