Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Fury was a US high technology constructed, (pre-impregnated carbon/Kevlar with high temperature aircraft resin over balsa core) Paul Lindenberg design (18 x10 metre) and entered in the 1984 OSTAR, sailed by owner Hugh McCoy.

Attached Files:

2. Bob McDowell

Bob McDowell New Member

John Westell designs

Any one had experience with Trixia, John Willie or the Ocean Birds
    as I hardly see any details on the Internet

Raced / cruised 28 Ft Trixia out of the Hamble in the 70s would like to know where she ended up. Fixed beams so was a prototype

Attached Files:

3. Gary Baigent

Australian Lindsay Cunningham's clever and refined Quest 111, C Class catamaran, 1972.

Attached Files:

4. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

A Kiwi in fact; or at least he lived there in his early years. Still, you can't have him AND John Spencer who was born in Oz, so we'll take Lindsay unless you give up John.

5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Stiletto

I had started to write a reply to the history of Stiletto, but a careless swipe of my keyboard erased it, so I will forget it at this moment :mad:

Yes, Stiletto was the largest piece of pre-preg/honeycomb outside the aircraft industry at the time. But also remember it was very principally designed as a trailer boat, so some items may have not been as 'robust' as they might have been.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/news/124/stiletto-27---25-years-later/

Stiletto is coming back into production...
    https://sailstiletto.com/own-a-stiletto-catamaran/

PS: If I remember correctly the original project was funded by a retired test pilot for the 747 airplanes.

6. Gary Baigent

Thanks CT, I should have known he was a Kiwi ... he being such a brilliant designer and all.
    So the brilliant Cunninghams and the Bethwaites, Kiwis ... of course, not from Oz - just resided there ... as many from the shaky isles do?

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Bc3

Thanks, Corley-that was great.....

9. Gary Baigent

Newick 40 with half moon floats at Little Shoal Bay, Auckland.

Attached Files:

10. Konstanty

Konstanty Junior Member

Trimaran "Lotus" of the canadian designer Stephen Brochocki.

I can't find any information about the trimaran "Lotus" of the canadian designer Stefan Brochocki. At WWII he was Polish pilot of the bombers. After WWII He was the designer of the aircrafts. Together with the Witold Kasper built a BKB glider. I read that sailboats and sailboardis he designed too.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  11. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Has anyone got any information on the whereabouts and/or activity of the completely re-built "Bagatelle". :?:

12. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

13. tane

tane Senior Member

could this love of the vintage multis be the result of a typical decision that was reached emotionally (hey, for me too the aesthetics of the old newicks, the crowther Twiggy Mk1, etcetc. is unbeaten) & then is justified (or not quite, imho) by rational arguments, supported by anecdotal evidence?
    the vintage-car-analogy is fitting: unbeatable the aesthetics of an old alfa romeo spider ("the graduate"), beautifully kept old british cars around here (Austria) - but "good & safe" in a contemporary sense? no way! deathtraps is what they were compared to todays run-of-the-mill cars which are virtually indistinguishable from one another...(and race results don't come into this at all!)

14. tane

tane Senior Member

a "drama Queen" wouldn't rate high in my priorities as a live-aboard cruiser...

15. tane

tane Senior Member

...absolutely LOVE this thread!!!
    I just keep thinking: if we'd have had available only a tiny fraction of the vast amount of knowledge & experience accumulated in this thread in the 70ies when we were building our cats here in Austria...how differently things would have developed...
    @Skip JayR: coming from a not-all-that-different-sort-of-cultural-background (Austria) I venture a few more comments:
    1. "old boats": nothing wrong with the emotional decision for an "outdated" design (as long as one knows it's an emotional, not a rational decision!)! People are still building carvelplanked traditional wooden boats simply because they are in love with the looks & the type of work involved. Only: Dorade beating everything in the year I-don't-know-when is now going to have severe drawbacks, (if only maintenancewise!) as a live-aboard -bluewatercruiser. the same would apply to say an early S & S - Swan. NA's learning-curve in the last say 35 years is much steeper with multi- than monohulls which irrefutably results in the old multis faring much worse against contemporary ones as is the case of old monos against present day monos.
    2. A multihull, imho particularly a tri, is always going to be either a comparatively small or comparatively expensive boat (depending if budget or loadcarrying is the determining) parameter) as opposed to a monohull. Coming from a bluewaterbackground myself (3 circumnavigations, one on a cat, two on a mono) I challenge anybody: for the same money with the same payload of round-the-world-junk & of the same age: beat a monohull across the ocean of your choice with either a cat or a tri.
    This is NOT to say that a cat cannot be THE ideal bluewatercruiser, only that it will be much more expensive than a comparable mono (& I'm not yet talking about marinafees!) and for a secondhand buyer the market will be minimal compared with the secondhand monohull-market.
    my advice: don't make irreversible decisions too early with too little experience & don't always believe people telling you that their boat is the ideal one...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.