Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Williwaw still holds the record for the most ocean miles for a full flying ocean foiler.

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Lady Helmsman. My favorite of all time. I loved this boat, so perfect, so eleguant.
    Sad I didn't find a better pictures. I find this one on Google.
    All the one I had are lost due to too many moving :mad:

[​IMG]

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Manfred,

I stand corrected. Actually the Double Wedge is what I saw recently but did not know it was related.

Most everything in Popular Science doesn't last even so. And the proported value is very often exaggerated out of reason. It is an interesting game to try and look at todays magazine and try to understand what has been exaggerated and why the item will not last/ succeed.

4. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

It is fascinating to see how often things have to be "invented" till the idea will become practicable and will be used.
    The first doublewedge patent I`ve found was from 1894 - not quite the same but somewhat similar from Mr. MILLS.
    [​IMG]

The second (US Patent 6 158 369) was from a Mr. Alberto Alvarez Calderon in 2000 and a similar idea was used from an Australian who made a model (16ft ?) to test it with different outboards. He reported a speed of 15kn with 8hp and was very satisfied with the hydrodynamic charateristics of the trimaran. The boat developed nearly no bow wave and the sternwave was very low.
    The angle at the bow is 13 degrees and can be achieved by tang. 13. The opposite kathete (1m Ankathete) is ~23cm. A hull of 6m will be ~1,35m and a 10m hull ~2,30m wide at the stern. Hope someone will controll it as I`m too soft in math. Not much space for the inhabitants.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

:D + 5 characters to keep the boatdesign.net gods happy!

Attached Files:

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Great pictures of Lady Helmsman, thanks very much.
    I never realized how much it was like a giant Tornado in the hulls.
    That must be a great museum.

I came across a C-class locally, must not have been very successful since I had never heard of it. The boat was stored outside, assembled, and sitting on tires. The hulls were so thin that they were gradually sagging into the shape of the tires. They still sailed it with that hull shape occasionally.

Its great that the museum was available to save Lady Helmsman.

7. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

8. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I don't really consider Sea Knife related to the Double Wedge vessel at all. Sea Knife was a strick monohull that grew out of some multihull experiments,...not a trimaran as doulble wedge appears.

Here is some more discussions on her:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/powerboats/peter-r-payne-sea-knife-blade-hulls-36781.html

Attached Files:

9. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Sorry to introduce this Sea Knife vessel to the 'historical multihull' subject thread. It occurred when I tried to link those Popular Science magazine articles.

But now that its done, I will eventually show how this Sea Knife vessel concept arose from some experiements with a multihull form.

And then go one step further with the possiblity of 'new concept' RIB being based on this sea knife hull form?,....might be a fun small boat project to play with?

10. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

You are right, it is my failure because as a multihull fan I`ve posted pics of a trimaran similar to the patented hull of Alberto Alvarez Calderon. The following picture is somewhat more similar to the knife-blade-hulls.

[​IMG]

11. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

12. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Many thanks for the pics!!!!

13. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I am completely confused.
    Sea knife is clearly a monohull, no matter what it developed from.
    The pictures (or video clip) of what I believe was double wedge was clearly shown in the water was a monohull.
    Someone make it simple for the simple-minded.

14. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Thanks Moggy. We tried a catenary curved wing mast with the first rig I built for Supplejack, true catenary like Lady Helmsman's (which was inspirational to me in those early days) with 30 inch chord in the middle section, big mast, and built too heavy (because we didn't know any better). It worked but we always had a slight problem of the upper section mast to sail not air flowing as sweetly as the middle and lower sections. That was because, compared to LH, Supplejack had a much larger, longer footed sail compared to the mast. LH's is near 50/50 and very fine in the upper sections.
    Those UK blokes in those days: MacAlpine-Downie, White, Mazzotti, March, Farrar, way ahead.
    left: Lady Helmsman - right: Early Bird - both MacAlpine-Downie designs

Attached Files:

15. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Here's Tom Coville's latest Sodebo, (photograph from Course au Large) de Kersauson's old VPLP maxi trimaran.
    What will they change on the boat to make it today competitive?
    Probably not much. New rig, foils, stripped and altered for single handing?

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.