High bandwidth communications upgrade in South Africa

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by BillyDoc, Sep 8, 2009.

1. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

Several of my South African friends have been observed complaining on these pages about various SA infrastructure issues, and I just want to point out that in one area at least, relief is spectacularly at hand!

A revisit to an old technological approach has enabled unexpected bandwidth improvements which are currently being implemented along certain well used data communications corridors within South Africa. Moreover, these improvements are accompanied by an extreme reduction in data transmission costs. Cost reductions are expected to approach 78% in initial implementations of this new technology, with greater improvements expected as development proceeds. This new technological approach to data transmission completely bypasses conventional ADSL from South Africa's Telcom, and is markedly faster and cheaper. Telcom representatives provided no comment to this writer.

Get the whole story, complete with technical details, here: http://www.henriska.com/blog/?p=615

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Whow

Fanie Wynand and Manie B will be impressed.

A functional water supply would be next on the list............

3. masalai

masalai masalai

First a security system that actually works:D:D:D (dive bombing trained eagles etc - or trained lions and elephants with crocodiles in the pool :D:D:D)

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

They have a perfect security system there! When nothing functiones the bombs will fail..........
    Thats a common system worldwide.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Apex, I am constrained by "protocol" - - - "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to apex1 again."

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Do´nt be shy, tell the world your disgustions......

7. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Billy, Telkom did respond in a way recently not to increase our rates on broadband, but to raise the cap instead for the same price....Still slow and temperamental. Funny thing though, after that the cap was raised by 1 gig, I reached my new cap just after about 20 days - has the same "surfing habits" and done nothing out of the ordinary.
    When questioning Telkom about this, I was the pig in the romance.....Thought it was to good to be true - typical ******** us saffas has to bear everyday by the totally corrupt and insufficient disable government and their sidekicks.

High time for some private competition to shut down this monopoly Telkom and the three cell phone providers has - even it mean going the pigeon way that makes a lot of sense.:D
    My posting replies may be a bit slow thought....

I did hear through the grapevine that Telkom is busy getting a Falcon breeding facility established:(

8. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

Wynand,

I think TelKom better buy some Falcons, and soon. Their business model based on wires is not working very well.

"Local news agency SAPA reported the 11-month-old pigeon, Winston, took one hour and eight minutes to fly the 80 km (50 miles) from Unlimited IT's offices near Pietermaritzburg to the coastal city of Durban with a data card was strapped to his leg.

Including downloading, the transfer took two hours, six minutes and 57 seconds -- the time it took for only four percent of the data to be transferred using a Telkom line."(sic)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/090909/odds/odd_us_safrica_pigeon

And just think of the implications of new 32 GB flash drives . . .

BillyDoc

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.