hey guys i'm back with another question on omc tilt trim problem

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by kenrahe, May 22, 2011.

1. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

Well i went ahead and pulled motor now with this bad omc design i have to pull inner transom bracket got it loose but y pipe is in the way an the four bolts feel like they'll snap off any suggestions on getting them out without snapping them...and if they snap how hard will it be to fix....

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Hitting them with a hammer square on the head after spraying them helps. It often breaks the corrosion. Combine that with heating too. If the bolts break, you'll have to drill them out. It is quite hard to drill stainless bolts from an aluminum casting.

3. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

should i use somthing like pb blaster..and would a plumbers torch be enough heat...and if they break should i just pull the whole assemely.inside and out since i'm this far into it....

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

PB works fine. If you use MAPP gas it will get hotter. Drilling broken bolts in place is very difficult. A few bolts and the transom shield is off. Good luck

5. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

Yep i agree about the drilling... but the thing that piss's me off is omc's design is that to get the inside mount off that the tilt trim lines are behind wont come off due to the bottom hitting the y-pipe by about 1/4 of an inch..My marina owner has a machine shop for working on his antique cars and last year he fixed a wobbled out mounting hole that the pivot screw goes into on the outer bracket and replaced it with a new pivot screw...so if they break i think i'll have him do it..once i take off the two bottom nuts i'm pretty sure the outside bracket comes off fairly easy since i've got everything disconnected.. if you know of anything that i should look for or be very carefull about doing this please let me know...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.