Here we go: 32'x10.5' going to 16'x42'

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by AlaskaFisherman, Feb 14, 2005.

1. dr.j

dr.j Junior Member

Winston, I struck up a conversation with a gentleman the other day and he mentioned to me that he had some similar issues to deal with once he had widened his boat. Although he knew that he would have to sacrifice a bit of speed and deal with some "plowing" while underway he was very happy with the added stability and extra carrying capacity. His problem came when he tried to turn in close quarters. Especially when the tide was moving and he was packing a lot of fish. The extra beam made quick response a problem. He installed a hydraulic bow thruster and that made things an awful lot easier. Prehaps this might work for you. Look forward to you photos in the spring.

2. AlaskaFisherman

AlaskaFisherman Junior Member

I am thinking more about installing one.

I was going to install two eng. this year and that would solve the turning problem, but I have dicided to wait until I can add more length. This makes me fish the boat one more year in this configureation and a bow thruster is starting to look more like something to install. I have no knowledge as to good or bad manufactures, so I'll just have to pick one.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.