Here we go: 32'x10.5' going to 16'x42'

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by AlaskaFisherman, Feb 14, 2005.

1. AlaskaFisherman

AlaskaFisherman Junior Member

Multi year project because of short building season and as money goes.
    Taking a 1962 Commerical Stern Drift Boat from 32 ft. long to 42ft. and from 10.5' wide to 16 ft. wide.
    This year will increasing width because of also making decks all flush. This means raising net reel and other equipment up 32".
    Welder and I looked over project today and plan to build tent in March and start welding in April. Boat has to be ready to fish last of June.
    Welder and I both work in the oil fields on the North Slope of Alaska so we are only here in Kenai half the time and only one week out of a month are we here together.
    Wish me luck.

Attached Files:

2. Dr. J

Dr. J Junior Member

Are you doing this to meet new licencing requirements? I don't know much about how things are done in Alaska as relates to gillnet fishing. Here we have very strict rules regarding boat length/ licence requirements. I am curious as to your methods. Do you plan to simply ad sponsons from the chine up, or are you planning to split and fill? What do you plan to do about the need for a different shaft length and angle and greater drive thrust due to the added length and beam? Will you have to increase draft or ballasting to accomadate the raised deck heights? Adding ballast to skeg built boats usually means strengthening the hull to accomadate the added weight to the skeg. I know that I had to perform many structural adjustments when widening a 65' steel seine boat and a 32' glass bowpicker a few years ago.
    Good luck, it looks like a really cool project. I hope that you will post updates and pictures as you proceed.

3. AlaskaFisherman

There is a lot I have not said.

Width is being added to allow for two things: 1. Restore stablity from moving a few thousand lbs. of equipment 32 inches higher inorder to build the flush deck. 2. Width will be needed to install twin engines = a good 3000lbs counting reduction gears.
    The law I am dealing with is the Jones Act = No foreign built vessels can fish in US coastal waters unless they are less than 5 Net Tons. My boat was grandfathered in by ruling it to be less than 5 net tons. I worked this problem 9 years ago by having US Congress adding my boat to a law allowing it to be documented and enlarged. This problem has raised it's head again in the past week and I am waiting for the Coast Guard to rule on it. May have to go back to congress again.
    Shaft length will be addressed when new engines are mounted in the last 15 feet of the vessel.
    There may even be a third engine installed as the last stage of the project - time and money will tell.
    Thanks in the interest of my little project. I hope to add pictures as each step goes. Infact a new trailer will be put under the boat next week and I will brack off it for tenting in the boat for welding.
    Winston

4. Dr. J

Dr. J Junior Member

Excellent! I don't see too many people submitting commercial boat projects in the boatbuilding forum. In addition to working as a shipwright, I fish commercially during the summer Fraser runs (when we are allowed to...). I have heard that your gillnetting methods might be different up there. In addition to your refit photos,I would also be curious to see some photos of your boat during a fishery. good luck !

5. AlaskaFisherman

project is speeding up!

Welder wants to start a job in Fairbanks Alaska in April, so my boat starts this week. Will not have time to put trailer under boat and still have not heard from salesman on Boom blocks. We will have to firgure something else as to how to handle 20 ft. sheets of aluminum.
    Dr. J, I could not find much on fishing pictures - here is two and I will post more as I find some. Do you use Tangle nets, we just got permission here to use them this next season.
    Pictures Not Attaching - I will try later.

6. AlaskaFisherman

Only found one picture fishing and others on bouy and land.

The one on the bouy should be a good one to compare to when she is back in the water after adding 5 and ahalf feet to width.
    The fishing picture is a day last Aug. I took my future deckhand out for a one set training.

Attached Files:

7. Dr. J

Dr. J Junior Member

Thanks for the photos! I see that you use monofilament nets up there. The dept. of fisheries and oceans (d.f.o.) doesn't allow us to use them here. I know people who use them during the native food fisheries( which are legal, though not used very much...) and they say they work real well except that you can't just snap the fish out when you are in a hurry. Here we use woven nylon gillnets made in Japan. The limit for the Fraser river is 60 meshes deep and no more than 200 fathoms long on the cork line. Most guys hang their nets at about a 2 1/2 or 3 to 1 ratio, unless they want more of a tangle type net .Then they will hang them at 4 to 1 or even more if they are fishing large meshed nets . Anything more than that and it would take too much time to pick the fish before you got in trouble due to the amount of boats on the river and the speed that the river flows. The other problem is that the net wil not fish as well because it will keep collapsing up like an accordian. This is mainly because we use a more flexible river leadline that can break when pulled too hard. Lots of snags in the river...
    Good to see that you start your deckhands young. Those are priceless memories ! As concerns moving your aluminum plates around, are you talking about lifting them off the truck and putting them in place? During a replating/refit job, I once made up a travelling overhead type of set up using 2 heavy duty travelling chain hoists attached to a big steel cross beam ( I-beam) supported on either side of the boat by big stands(pipes) that resemble a kid's swing set support stand (only heavier duty...).Basically they looked like 2 capital A's with the cross beam in between... Once it was welded together, complete with gussets at all critical support areas, it was very strong and usefull ! I laid timbers in a parallel line with equal and even heights on either side that ran the length of the boat plus 15 feet to give room to back the delivery trucks up to and under the aft end, and then screwed 1" flat bar steel on the top and down the middle of the timbers to form parallel mini train type tracks. I then attached industrial type steel rimmed wheels to the bottom of the frame. It allowed me the convenience of moving plates into place from the cutting area at the aft end of the boat (where the truck backed up to... ) right up to the forward end. It even had enough strength to lift engines and fuel tanks into place. I made up a spreader bar to use when lifting the plates to provide better plate support and balance. This little side project took a little bit of effort to make, but it saved valuable time and money in the long run. Perhaps this is something that might work for you! Good luck with your project! I look forward to seeing the photos.
    Regards, Jay.

8. AlaskaFisherman

Your A frame is an ideal I was going to do next year for setting engines.

Thanks for brings up the ideal of A Frames, I had thought of building some for next year engine setting project. We will not be back together on the boat project until Tuesday. I have half a day Monday to build the A frames. I ordered in some big wheels that will allow the A frames to be moved around. If I build the A frames shorter than needed for the engine placement I could use them for moving sheets from storage and then to lift to welding position.

Dr. J About fishing - does your fish come out of the net alive. Some of ours do if we pick ever hour, but I hear tangle nets give more live fish - so you can bleed them better. I support the Kenai Wild branding program up here and I want to bleed more fish this year.
    Winston
    Clearing snow to start project , started tent frame, pumped gas from tanks, cut old stern edge away exposed old fish picking area.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  9. AlaskaFisherman

First sheet tacked on!!!

It was 32 deg. f this morning and warmed all the way to 33 deg. by mid day. i did see it melt ice at 7pm so maybe tommorrow will be warmer at Gillies Boat Yard - Ha! Ha!
    Tacked up the first and the hardest sheet today - all we have to do now is finish!

Attached Files:

10. AlaskaFisherman

Starboard bottom in place!

We got the hardest two fits behind us, now it's smooth sailing. I go to the oil fields for 7 days, so Randy the welder carries on. He hopes to have the starboard finished by the time I get back.

Attached Files:

11. AlaskaFisherman

May be hurting fuel tanks - 31 deg F all day with snow in the morning

Making progress - two more weeks and should be very close to wrapping up.

Attached Files:

12. AlaskaFisherman

Update up to 4/5/05

Starboard hull all but finished. Randy waited for my inspection of new Bow configuration. It's as I wanted it. Had to undercut outside edge so as to move bow water to the outside with as little force as possible.
    Side hull stiffeners and strength and looks to boat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  13. AlaskaFisherman

Port Side started.

More of the same - this time Port side. Still have ice under boat.

Attached Files:

14. AlaskaFisherman

Gillies Boat Yard - Kenai, Alaska

Back deck plate tacked. Next week both will be tacked and opening for hatches cut. Randal's Welding gone to Kodiak for next two weeks to work for old customers. I'm having to go back to US Congress for Fishery Endorsment - should be next fall before I get that. I'm looking to lease a boat to fish this season.

Attached Files:

15. dr.j

dr.j Junior Member

Winston, how is your project coming? The picure that you have posted show a fine looking boat. Keep posting if you can! Good luck with the government also.
    Regards, Jay.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.