Help with stringer rebuild. Not beating a dead horse !

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mcomikey, Nov 14, 2010.

1. mcomikey

mcomikey New Member

I have a 1975 Trojan F30 in which I'm about to start rebuilding the stringers. After removing the motors and looking closley at the stringers, I found they had some repair attempted in the past.

There are 4 stringers that run from the transom forward. The center 2 being much larger that the outside 2. I found that at the mid-ship bulkhead, these stringers are not continuous, but rather tie into the bulhead. The bulhead is the continuous form with the stringers tied into it.

My question is this: As they have been repaired in the past, how do I know if this is the original design ? Is that important ? The bulkhead itself is also rotted, so that will be replaced. I am just trying to figure out if I should build the stringers first, then tie in the bulkhead, or the other way around.

Thanks in advance !

Mike
    1975 Trojan F30
    St. Augustine, FL

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

Stringers first, Mike, then bulkhead. Think of it as a spine and ribcage - Yes, the spine is perhaps a little flexible but continuous without breaks or cutouts, which are stress risers. The ribs (bulkheads,webframes) just maintain the shape (a secondary function of bulkheads is to is stop water, fish, fire, fumes, etc.).
    That being said, the boat got away with it before and probably would again.

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...what he says, yep, stringers full length where possible....

4. mcomikey

mcomikey New Member

Tyvm !