help with speedboat construction pleeese?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by floydrob, Jul 3, 2008.

1. floydrob

floydrob Junior Member

hi, i have just started making my 3rd boat, bearin gin mind i'm only 15 i recon thats ok. but i have come acriss some problems. my previous boats were sealed with silicon and needed repairing alto, but as this is the biggest so far (only 14ft) i want to spend some more to do a better job. vcan sum1 tell me what fiberglass tap is used for, can it be used to cover the chines and keelson? i was planning on using fiberglass mat but tape would be easier if this is what it is intended for.
    i took the hull design from a hydroplane in svensons.com and made the bow sharper and added a cuddy.. i plan on putting a jetski engine and drive system in it because i found one in the scrappy and after i replaced the battery, changed the oil and cleand the spark plugs, she started first time.(with a screwdriver in the ignition) lol.
    is this a good idea? vcan sum 1 tell me where i should put it, how far back intake and output should befor best performance etc.
    still lots to do but i recon she is looking good, and when she is fiberglassed she should look even better and float gr8 too. :D

Attached Files:

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Yes, you can cover the corners with tape but you have to round the corners so the tape will lie flat and not get bubbles where it wraps around the corners. Epoxy would be best. Two layers with staggered edges would be best, like first a 6" wide layer and then a 4" wide layer on top of that. Or two 4" layers, where one goes 1 1/2" on one side and the next goes 1 1/2" around on the other side, leaving the edges staggered and less bulky and lumpy.

Kind of a racy looking boat! Good luck!

3. floydrob

floydrob Junior Member

thanks, i just went and bought a 5kg tub of epoxy resin and some fiberglass matting so i'll get to work on that part. what do u think about a jet drive? good idea or should i just save the pennies for another year and get myself an outboard? i was planning on using the weight of the jetski engine as ballast, but i fear an outboard would do the opposite and i would hav to fill the boat with lead to keep it upright.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.