Help Required- 2d to 3d drawings

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by blackpig, Jun 13, 2009.

  1. blackpig
    Joined: Feb 2007
    Posts: 5
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: UK

    blackpig Junior Member

    I'm a complete amateur at design, (allthough I started work in the design office of John I Thornycroft and have kept up an interest ever since.)
    I decided to take it up as a hobby and got hold of a copy of Skenes elements of yacht design to refresh my memory.

    I use Smartdraw to do my general arrangement drawings and then export the hull profile and deck line into Delftship, do the lines then export the lines back into Smartdraw to finalise the GA.

    Recently I've thought it would be nice to be able to see the layout in 3d,
    I've search through the forums and whilst there has been much talk nothing to help me!

    Question does anybody know of a free/cheap/second hand program that will convert 2d to 3d?

    I can export the following 2d formats from Smartdraw -:

    BMP, JPG, Polycad, Vrml and Fef
  2. Çemberci
    Joined: Apr 2007
    Posts: 127
    Likes: 6, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 133
    Location: Istanbul/Turkey

    Çemberci Senior Member

  3. kerosene
    Joined: Jul 2006
    Posts: 1,262
    Likes: 187, Points: 63, Legacy Rep: 358
    Location: finland

    kerosene Senior Member

    freeship? or is it called delphi ship these days

    google will help
  4. draderman
    Joined: Jun 2009
    Posts: 1
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: bc canada

    draderman New Member

    ive been using google "sketchitup". its free, easy to use - not sure about uploading 2d images tho.

  5. Guest62110524

    Guest62110524 Previous Member

    try the evaluation copy of rhino 4, you can , I beleive, save 25 times
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.