Folding system - like scarab trimarans

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Vector77, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Vector77

Vector77 Junior Member

Hello,
    Do you have any experiences with folding system like scarab has? I found some information on the internet and it looks like easier to build and also cheaper, am I right?

2. tamas

tamas Junior Member

Hi, I don't have any knowledge of the scarab folding system although a friend has a scarab 22. Mine is a bit crude but it works fine, very easy to operate. It was a pain to work out the geometry though. I used pieces of timber bolted to my carport post, made the neighbors wonder what tha!! haha. I have attached a couple of pic. Good luch

Attached Files:

3. John Perry

John Perry Senior Member

That's a very nice looking boat your have built, and a nice simple implementation of the well known Farrier folding system. Would you like to tell us more about it? Have you got a rig yet? Presumably the floats are from a Tornado or similar catamaran and main hull is a simple plywood structure. Not much indoors, low headroom, but I guess that is not your priority.

4. tamas

tamas Junior Member

Hi John, I have a blog at http://husky6.blogspot.com.au/ if you want to have a bit of a look. The amas are a Hobie 20 and the rig is also from the Hobie 20. I raided as many bits as I could from it including the trailer. I was looking at other folding options and in the end bit the bullet and work this one out. It was not easy as I mentioned. I have a friend who has now devised something I think is better but not available when I built. I will post something about his boat later.

The main hull is ply, something quick and easy to build to get me on the water. And under rated I think. I just wanted a day sailor/racer. That is why there is no cabin. But I can store some gear in there.

I have not sailed as much as I would have liked because my crew started to work away and my new crew hurt his back. I did not want to train a newbie on a bout like this, it happens to quick. This season I should be able to get back into it and update my blog with sailing performance.

Cheers

5. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Folder

Vector, I purchased a set of Scarab plans for a project I am working on. They are very inexpensive, and you should be able to build a good folder from them with locally available materials. The folding system drawings are well detailed.
    Bruce

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.