Help in finding a low draft Convertable Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Gordy, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Gordy

Gordy New Member

I recently became a property owner in Cape Coral Florida on the canal system. To enter the canals in my area, there are areas that can be 2.5 feet or less. I would like a 32-40ft fishing/Cruiser similar to a Convertible. I do not want Stern drives, or Outboards. Are there "Tunnel Drive" or low draft boats that have the lowest draft? Prefer diesel, cabin, head, and the like. Any good/bad/ugly to look out for?

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member

what type of speed do you need in the canals and what type of distance do you have to travel from bigger depths

3. Gordy

Gordy New Member

In the canal it's a No Wake Zone, so your around 4-5 knots. Cruising probably 30 knots or under. Would like to go from Fort Meyers to Key West, possibly the Bahamas. 200 miles on single leg

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Rauel Parkers “Commuter” comes to mind as an extremely shallow draft vessel that can handle some seas and show a nice turn of speed when conditions permit.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.